1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DHCP - Strange Names

Discussion in 'Networking' started by brianjj, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brianjj

brianjj Thread Starter

Since activating DHCP on my Windows 2003 Server, I'm starting to see some really strange names associated with my IP addresses. Even after I delete them, they somehow show up again. I have attached a screen shot of the strange names. I blocked out the valid names for security purposes. Is there something that could be assigning the IP addresses to these unknown machines? And is there a way to avoid this in the future? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

That's because any device that requests an IP address will be allowed one on your server. If I brought my laptop into your building and plugged it in, I would get an IP address (doesn't matter if I have access to your actual network). That's the nature of the beast. DHCP uses broadcasts to give out IP addresses.

If someone is connecting to your network wirelessly (with a laptop or even a cell phone) they will also get an IP address. It will stay there as long as the lease allows.

Courtney

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

It appears you have unknown computers connected to your network and your Windows 2003 Server is giving them IP addresses. Am I missing something?

4. brianjj

brianjj Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. We have a small office that is actually part of a larger office building, so that does make sense that it would pick up other devices. That being the case, are there any recommendations to prevent or manage this? I have a feeling that this could get worse, based on the number of surrounding offices. Some days, I have hundreds of these strange names. Should I maybe look at a different DHCP product, assign static IP addresses, shorten my lease times, etc.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

A properly managed firewall will do a lot. Do you have a domain login?

6. brianjj

brianjj Thread Starter

Yes, I believe we are running a Netgear Firewall. Yes, I do have a domain login. This might be a dumb question, but how do I isolate the addresses on the Firewall.

7. rhynes

rhynes

Are you by chance running wireless?

8. brianjj

brianjj Thread Starter

Good question. I do have a wireless router, but the DHCP part is turned off. My regular router is a Netgear, which is connected to a couple of Dell switches. I actually did wonder if those strange names are actually coming from the wireless router.

9. rhynes

rhynes

Well there's your problem. If you're not using the wireless, shut it down. If you are, start using wpa for security.

10. jmwills

jmwills

Yes, you have freeloaders on your network. The T-60 is an indicator as this is an IBM laptop.

Use WPA with a STRONG password and chnage the default password ont he router so no changes can be made. No other measures are needed.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/696988

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice