1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dhtml scripts help ....

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by TypeSK, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

on my home page, i have two DHTML scripts that i got from www.dynamicdrive.com ...

they are:

Scrollable Content

and

Textual ToolTip II

on my website its located here:

www.whiteazn.com

the textual tooltip happens and works when you put your mouse over the links at the top and the words fade into view .....

the script that dont work (scrollable content), is the box with the two arrows going up and down .... normally, there should be content in there and be able to use the mouse to scroll up and down ( www.whiteazn.com/test.php ) <-- that has that code by itself, and works ....

i checked for event handlers (read that if there are two seperate event handlers (like body onload= or window.onload.) that it won't work. but only the scrollable content script has a window.onload event handler). is anyone proficient enough to figure out why this wont work together on the same page?

or can it be the script that does the table cell background color changer on mouseover? (in the top table, how the background color of the table cell changes color) ....

2. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

for the animated fader src, change your javascript lanquage attribute to javascript1.2 like it is in the original.

I tested it, that fixed it.

3. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

it doesnt work ..

i saved it and uploaded it.... this what i did:

PHP:
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript" SRC="AnimatedFader.js"></SCRIPT>
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

-IS NOW-

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.2" SRC="AnimatedFader.js"></SCRIPT>
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.2">
    anything else you can think of? or did you modify the code in any other way?

also, im using IE6. i checked netscape, and it works...but it worked before with no problem before ....

4. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

Here's what I did.

I went to http://www.whiteazn.com/ in IE6

then I viewed source with notepad.

changed javscript to javascript1.2 like I said above.

Then I saved the file locally.

Then it worked. Then content was in the box and the arrows worked.

The arrow picks didn't show up, but thats because you didn't use absolute urls and I didn't have time to change them.

I noticed that the test page uses php. Therefore I am assuming that the page displayed at http://www.whiteazn.com/ is a generated page displayed by the php script. aka index.php.

I haved notice that when you find scripts on the net like that, most of them will use language = javscript1.2.

now if you are uploading with something like frontpage or a microsoft product, the program might be changing it on you. (they do that).

edit the index.php with notepad, and upload with ws_ftp . if you haven't already tried that.

but the 1.2 version makes it work.

I will look into it more later if you need me to.

5. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

yea..its index.php

i also use Dreamweaver4 at home (MX at school) ...

ill try the notepad ...

6. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

ok ... that worked, but it also worked regardless if 1.2 was in the code or not ...

but now, i think that narrowed the problem to the link text fader script.... if i put the AnimatedFader.js script file in the directory ... it stops working .... so its gotta be a conflict with that .... hmmm

7. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

actually, weird..its something with my CSS file... i renamed my CSS file and it works .... wonder what that could be???????

weird ....

8. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

I FIXED IT I FIXED IT I FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i found in my CSS file (i imported some styles from my moveable type weblog that had the CSS ID of content and container (just like in this code)... so i guess the CSS attributes overtook the javascript CSS attributes ....

so i just changed the javascript attributes (so i dont hve to edit my weblog if i were to change my CSS attributes) from id=content and id=container to id=iecontent and id=iecontainer in the code (the NS had its attributes as nscontent and nscontainer, so i named it good i think..lol)

and it works (check it out now) ....

woohoo, i know nothing of javascript except to copy and paste them (i can manipulate VERY little, but i have never debugged a script like i did...but thanks partially to your help) ....

thanks!!

9. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

wo that was funky.

cool you got it working.

I checked out your page again. Just confirming that it works.

10. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

yea .. its weird ... i did as you said ... it worked... but i hate looking at barebone pages (with broken images and text all weird) so i through the images in the directory... still worked, and then put the CSS sheet into the directory, and it stopped working .. and then i remembered about the blog CSS entries, and investigated that to see if there were any conflicts and voila, there was .. hehehe ... it was the last thing i ever expected ....

but now there a problem with the text mouseover script in netscape ..

and i have a GUTSY feeling that its the nscontent and nscontainer IDs in both scripts ... even in netscape it gives an error about the location when i do the mouseover .. so it just has to be that .. so should be an easy fix ...

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115915

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice