1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Diableing Password

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vg19, Nov 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vg19

vg19 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have two computers networked. 1 is running XP and the other is running 98SE. From the computer with XP I can look on the other computers files because I did not set a password. But with the computher with 98SE I can not look into the Xp computers files because there is a password. I did not set any password for the Computer with XP, yet it still asks me for ONE.

So my question is, how do I disable the password on XP PRO so that on the computer with 98SE can look into the one with XP'S harddrive.

2. plejon

plejon

XP is an evolution of Windows NT, which has much stronger security features than 98SE.

I would try creating a user account on the XP machine, with the same user id/password as the one you use on the 98 machine.

You can then give that user access to the resources you want on XP

3. vg19

vg19 Thread Starter

I created a user name a password, but i still cannot get access from the other computer. How do i fix this problem

4. plejon

plejon

Share the directory on XP that you want to access from 98. Make sure that the user you defined on XP, which should be identical than the one you're using in 98, has sufficient access rights to see this shared directory

5. vg19

vg19 Thread Starter

But the question is how do i share the c:

what are the steps

6. plejon

plejon

I haven't installed XP yet, so I'm going to give you the Win2000 steps, which are probably very similar since XP is an evolution of WinNT/Win2000.

First of all, start the windows explorer (right mouse click the start button, then choose explorer)

right mouse click the icon that represents your C drive, it should read something like "Local Disk (C:)", choose "sharing ..."

There should already be a default share for the entire C drive. By default, NT shares the entire C disk in a share called C$. The $ indicates that this is a hidden share, so you won't be able to see it if you browse the network. But if you type the name explicitly (eg \\myntpc\C$), you can access it.

Now you have two options :
    1) Make sure that the user you created has sufficient rights to access the C$ share (click on the permissions button to verify and modify)
    2) Click the "New Share" button to create a new share for the entire C-drive. If your share name doesn't end with a $ sign, it will be visible. Again, set the permissions so your user can access the share.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58407

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice