1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

diablo 2 expansion crash

Discussion in 'Games' started by scalpachette, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scalpachette

scalpachette Thread Starter

hey my diablo 2 lod keeps crashing on me i thought it was the tempature so i put in 3 fans and its gotten much better but now it still happens a few times a day.sometimes its just a complete freeze where i can do nothing and other times its self reboots.
    Physical Memory : 512 MB
    Video Card : ATI Technologies Inc Radeon 9200 SE Series (RV280)
    Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professionnal 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
    Mainboard : Asus A7N266VM
    Chipset : nVidia nForce
    Processor : AMD Athlon XP @ 1533 MHz

can anyone help me out here i am a hardcore gamer and need to help my clan more than i already am.

2. ACA529

ACA529

Hmm, it doesn't sound like this is a game problem... this sounds more like it's a hardware issue.

This might be moved to the hardware forum..

Have you tried playing other games? Do they crash too?

3. scalpachette

i have tried other games as the sims 2 all eps ofcourse for hours at a time and no crashes at all.

4. jmtechserv

jmtechserv

This sounds more like a hardware heat issue. The processor will do a “Thermal shutdown” if it gets too hot. Diablo II is a lot more processor intensive than most
    Other games.
    The first thing I would check is the CPU Fan.
    Is it spinning?
    Is the heatsink clogged with dust?
    Is the Fan “seated” properly?
    Your Radeon card should have a fan too.
    Is it spinning? ….

5. scalpachette

every fan i got is working just fine my computer is running 32 degrees on startup and 105 during gameplay on diablo.

6. jmtechserv

jmtechserv

What’s the CPU temp?
    Is it staying constant?
    Or does it climb during game play?
    Does your motherboard allow you to set the threshold for temp?
    The CPU heatsink might just need to be re-greased.
    Has the CPU heatsink ever been removed and replaced?
    If so, it probably just needs to be cleaned and re-greased.

Its still sounding like a processor heat issue

7. scalpachette

cpu temp,114
    yeah normally,
    it climbs during gameplay,
    i dont know,
    its been replaced before.

8. scalpachette

ok please guys i need some serous help here i got some support from blizzard but it didn't help here is what they recommended.
    rightclick my computer
    select properties
    choose the advanced tab
    startup and recovery settings
    under system failure uncheck automatically restart.
    so i did and yet it rebooted again once today i dont know what to do please help me this is an SOS going out to all of Tech Support Guy Forums accross the net.
    thanks for your time and thoughts.

9. Akmorph

Akmorph

Well Blizzard is absolutely correct. Turning off automatic restarts will allow you to get a blue screen and show the error messages.

Does your PC feel hot or is it in an environment where its not getting sufficient airflow?

When you say you added fans .. do you have all of them blowing inside or do you have one blowing out of your case removing the hot air ? The reason I ask is because I build pc's and I have made the mistake in the past of adding a lot of fans .. but had them all blowing inside and they do not sufficiently remove the hot air when you have one from the cpu blowing out and one from the case blowing in right at each other, it does not dissipate the heat.

Have you recieved any blue screens with errors that you can post for us ?

Thanks in advance

10. scalpachette

ok 2 fans in and 2 fans out,yeah i got a bsod a minute ago caused by nvarm.sys i dont know what the heck i am going to do.
    i also got this,

BCCode : 1000007f BCP1 : 0000000D BCP2 : 00000000 BCP3 : 00000000
    i dont know what these codes mean or even a dump file i read alot about them but not a clue.

11. Akmorph

Akmorph

Well I can tell you that NVARM.SYS is Nvidia Video Graphics Display Drivers.

You might need to get newer drivers or perhaps go back a driver or 2 to see if your system stailizes. I would also get a cleaner to get rid of old drivers and gunk from your system. Im sure if you ask around here you can find one. I think there is one called Driver Cleaner 3.3
    www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/Driver-Cleaner.shtml

Go to Start --> Run --> dxdiag --> Check yes when it asks to check Microsoft for updates. Click on Display and look at your version.

Then go to the Nvidia website and look for drivers or check out http://www.omegadrivers.net they tend to bundle drivers without all the extra crap that the large companies throw in there.

After downloading your new drivers, go to Microsoft and download Direct X 9.0C and save it , do not run it yet.

After your drivers are done downloading, go to Start -->> Run --> appwiz.cpl --> uninstall your display drivers , probably located under Nvidia.

Reboot your computer

Run the Driver Cleaner to remove any excess driver bits that were left behind.

Reboot your computer (just to make sure its clean)

Install Direct X 9.0C

Reboot your Computer

Install New Graphics Drivers

Reboot your computer (last time)

Try the game again and post your results here.

Let me know if I can do anything else for you.

12. scalpachette

ok all has been done and yet i have still got the same problem i dont understand it.I did everything you said and after i am still crashing its really screwed up.

13. Akmorph

Akmorph

We need to re-trace what has happened since then and take a look at it.

When was the last time you can remember when your system was stable and you were able to play the games ?

Have you made any hardware modifications? New Motherboard / New Video Card ?

Do you have the most updated drivers on the motherboard ?

Most Updated Drivers on the Video Card ? (pretty sure thats what we just did for the card)

Are you playing the Expansion ? or trying to just play D2 ?

What is your Virtual Memory set at ? (Right Click My Computer , Properties , Advanced , Performance , Settings, and make sure your Virtual Memory is 2x your physical memory. Since you have 512mb, yours should say on the advanced tab. Processor Scheduling ( Programs ), Memory Usage ( Programs ), Virtual Memory 1024 .. Click on Change and make sure it reads C: Custom Size 1024 Initial Size , 1024 Maximum Size.

Try it and reboot and lets see what happens.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537496

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice