Diablo 2 + x850 = Crashing?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Techno_Snoop

Ok this problem has really been puzzling me. Whenever i play diablo 2, not the expansion after maybe 15 minutes of play it crashes. I get an error along the lines of vpu core has stop receiving information and I end up running in software rendering instead of hardware.

Now this is where its gets weird, I can play quake 4 fine for as long as I want with no problems on relatively high settings. The card definitely isn't over heating, I monitored the temp up until the crash. I have the agp version of the card, 512 mb ram (more soon), 500 watt ps, amd athlon 64 3400+, and win xp home. I tried compatability for win 98, and win me. But it should run fine under win xp as I can play it fine on various other win xp systems and ive tried a few different drivers.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Try running the Diablo II Video test (Start->Programs->Diablo II->Video test), and select the Direct3D mode again. If it still give problems, run the test again and select DirectDraw 2D mode. Honestly, I forget if there's much of a visual difference between the two, but I think I remember the 3D mode being kind of weird, if anything.

It's not a problem with hardware, it's definitely some sort of driver/software issue, but the chances of Blizzard or ATI making changes for an older game are pretty slim.

Ohh, those messages....see if turning them off helps.

Right-click desktop, hit Catalyst Control Center, then hit View->Advanced View, and select VPU recover from the list. Uncheck 'Enable VPU recover', and hit OK, and see if it makes it any farther.

In case you're worried about it, Ive never had any problems leaving the VPU recover thing off, it's only caused problems for me, and turning it off fixed those problems. :) Good luck!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online