Solved Diagnosing CPU instability

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Krybo

SeaTools would not work with my SSD drives.
I was able to enter the DOS based program but it just spun trying to detect devices.

chkdsk was run overnight. Would not run directly from the prompt b/c the OS was using the drive. Ran it at startup overnight, I found the computer at the windows login prompt in the morning. I checked the C: Could not locate the logs. I searched for Event ID 26226 in the event viewer and found nothing.

The OS SSD is a device made in the past year and thus I doubt my older systems will be able to use it. So the option of connecting to another computer is out.

This machine has 2 SSD's, I am thinking of installing a fresh windows 10 on the other SSD, disconnecting the SSD it is currently running on, and try running prime95 on a fresh install.

dmccoy

Darrin
Okay, yes you always have to restart the computer to test the working drive. I am not sure why seatools would not work on your drives. It looks like you have a Samsung and Ocz SSD. Go to the mfg websites and download the diagnostic tool they provide to test your drive.

Did you test the Clean boot?

You can always try a clean install as an option as well on the other drive or make a disk image backup of your existing drive to easily restore if needed.

Krybo

This forum post has been so infested with ads and frivolous nonsense I needed to hack a user CSS to view your posts. { display: none; } ;(

Going to schedule the fresh install for next weekend. I had set aside a blank 30 GB partition on the OCZ drive just for an occasion like this. I have Acronis backups.

In the meantime I'll look into the other manufacturers tools. These drives seem fine to me, but I suppose I need to eliminate those possibilities.

I've been in Clean boot for awhile now, it cuts alot of non-sense programs I do not need. It does not prevent Prime95 from crashing the system within 2 hours guarenteed. Its really looking like the CPU has become intolerant to prolonged Temps above 55 C... which is both strange & unfortunate.

Krybo

I tested and tuned up the OCZ SSD using their tools. It claimed 96% health and found no new bad sectors.

fresh windows 10 installation went OK, but alas yield the same result as usual.
Prime 95 crashes within a few minutes over there too.

This time I found many of these in the Prime95 results.txt file:

ERROR: ILLEGAL SUMOUT
Possible hardware failure, consult readme.txt file, restarting test.
ERROR: ILLEGAL SUMOUT

As well as the WHEA windows error found in the original post was present in the logs in the fresh OS.

dmccoy

Darrin
Are you overclocking your cpu? This is usually the cause of Illegal Sumout error.

Krybo

Attached is a screenshot showing Hardware monitor + Prime 95 in action.
I can't say 100% I am not overclocking, but I never recall tampering with any settings in the BIOS. Can anyone check for sure if 3840 MHz is stock for a Phenom II 1100T? I did turn off the Turbo mode the CPU has, but that had no affect on the problem.

Prime is significantly more unstable to Small FFT's then the blended test. Small FFT WILL crash in an hour or less. Other modes continue for a few hours.

Attachments

Krybo

Wikipedia:
"Thuban" and "Zosma" Phenom II processors support AMD's Turbo Core overclocking performance-boost technology. When not all cores are needed, the processor will automatically overclock up to half of the cores by up to 500 MHz, leaving the other half idle. In turn, when the application demands more than half of the cores, the processor will run on standard clock rate and with all cores enabled.[8] The flagship AMD Phenom II X6 1100T shifts 3.3GHz to 3.7GHz.

So looks like there is OC going on. I will investigate the BIOS further.

Krybo

Solved.

[AI Overclock Tuner] was set to Manual, which means I must have tampered with it at one point and forgot about it.

Switching it back to [Auto] set the target clock speed to 3300 and I reenabled AMD Turbo mode.

Prime 95 Small-FFT ran for 13 hours straight overnight and temp never went above 46 C.

Thanks for the tips, althought in retrospect alot was a side trip, some of those tools will be handy to know about.

Krybo

p.s. This system must have been running @ 3840 Mhz for several years before I noticed any problems cropping up. Seems I should be able to get away with 3600 Mhz. I am hoping to get 10 yrs out of this machine, I am a lot less concerned now.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online