1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Diagnosis needed

Discussion in 'Games' started by terryfrd, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terryfrd

terryfrd Thread Starter

My computer (Intel 2.6 gig, 1000 mg ram, Winfast Nvidia 6600GT with the latest driver) works perfectly for any work related activity including heavy-duty programs like Photoshop and Corel Draw. Until two weeks ago, it was fine for games as well. Now, virtually all games crash to a black screen two to thirty seconds after the main menu appears after the opening film clips. Age of Empires 3, Empire Earth 2, Rise of Nations all fail in near the same spot and I'm sure any new game I install will have the same problem. The power stays on but there is no input to the monitor and I have to reboot. There are no error message and the only unusual message I can find through the event viewer is: "The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service entered the stopped state". The problem started very suddenly with me having done anything unusual. I thought originally it might have been the result of an automatic Windows update (have have XP professional, service pack 2), but I guess that is not the case. The only game that seems to survive, is Flight Simulator 2004, but I have only run that for 10 minutes. I'd appreciate any advice on where to start in debugging the problem.

Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436201

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice