1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

diagnostic advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Limitless133, Apr 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Limitless133

Limitless133 Thread Starter

Hey guys, I was hoping someone could help me out, I'm thinking I may want a new motherboard but I'm not sure.

My computer has been a little unstable since installing a Radeon R9, at first I thought it was just because the R9 was new and had a few driver issues with windows 8.1, but they didn't clear up over time; then I thought it was power related so I bought a higher wattage PSU... but I get bad coil wine playing games and it still crashes a lot. Playing GTA5 is like watching a slide show, I had better expectations from this gear. I'm beginning to suspect my old motherboard isn't up to supporting the R9 properly, I already sent the gfx card back for testing and they returned it no fault found. One more note, I've only got 6GB of RAM.

CPU: i7 980X Extreme Edition
    Mobo: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
    GFX: Radeon R9 290X DirectCU II OC
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 460

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What exact pw supply did you install? Post the exact brand and model#

Have you tested your ram with memtest? If not, do so;
    http://memtest.org/

What are your temps and voltages; specifically the cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values? Since you have a gigabyte mb, download and install easytune [from the support page for your mb] Easytune will give you all of the temp/voltage info. Note easytune is also an overclocking program; do not make any changes to anything. Just read the temps and voltages from the hardware tab.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147262

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice