1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Diagnostic Policy Service

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lynn2024, Feb 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lynn2024

lynn2024 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8104 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -1988 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 223 GB (86 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0GDG8Y
    Antivirus: IObit Malware Fighter, Disabled

When I try to run System Restore, Network Troubleshooter and other Windows diagnostic tools I get an error message stating "The Diagnostic Policy Service Is Not Running" which results in the diagnostic tool not running. How do I fix this?

I don't know if it matters, but I have a SSD Hard Drive.

As best I recall, the Sysinfo utility wasn't available the last time I was here, but I really like it!

Thanks,

Lynn

2. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    • Press Windows+R keys to open the Run window, type command "services.msc” and hit OK.

• In the Services window scroll-down to find a service with the name “Diagnostic Policy Service.” Right-click on this and select Properties, make sure the service is up and running.
    • If not, then see if you can manually start it.

3. snuffleufflegus

snuffleufflegus

Just to note: The Default setting for "Diagnostic Policy Service" is "Automatic".

4. lynn2024

lynn2024 Thread Starter

I followed your directions and things were going fine until I clicked "Start." Then I got "Error 1079: The account specified for this service is different from the account specified for other services running in the same process."

I appreciate your advice, I really do. Sometimes I think I need to get a boat. I've already got an anchor for it...LOL.

Lynn

5. snuffleufflegus

snuffleufflegus

go back to the diagnostic policy service in administrative tools/services.Double click it.Go to the "Logon Tab". Be sure it is set to "This Account". NOT "Local System Account". If it is,change it to "This Account". In the "This Account" box,beside the browse button type "Local Service" without the quotes of course. Be sure the "L" and "S" are capitolized. click ok and then reboot.Hopefully that helps.

If the service is already set to Local service,make sure that any dependencies it relies on have started. to check, double click the diagnosic policy service again,click the dependencies tab and see if it depends on any other service,although i do not believe it does.But check anyways.

Before you reboot,be sure that diagnostic policy service is set to "Atomatic",but do not try to start it.Just reboot after changing the settings.

Also make sure "Diagnostic service host" and "diagnostic system host" are both set to manual.

lynn2024 likes this.
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1205765

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice