1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

diagnostic results say the security system is unable to identify an active anti virus

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Tinabrook, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tinabrook

Tinabrook Thread Starter

Either there is no anti-virus product installed or it is not recognised. This is on windows 7. A new pc only a few weeks old installed Norton 2010 internet security which is working ok. So I believe I am covered how do I configure security centre to recognise this?

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

This usually works with Windows XP. Search for these items on Windows 7. If their location is identical, try the following procedure:

1. Press the Windows key + R to open a Run box. Type in services.msc.

2. Locate and stop Windows Management Instrumentation & Security Center. By default, the Startup Type on both should be Automatic.

3. Go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem.

4. Only delete the Repository folder.

5. Reboot your computer.

This will rebuild the deleted folder and the database. Now the Windows Security Center should show the correct info for antivirus and firewall.

After you're done, restart the Windows Management Instrumentation & Security Center services.

3. Tinabrook

Tinabrook Thread Starter

It is giving me the following resolutions
    1. Verify that an anti-virus product is installed.
    2. if an anti-virus product is installed and functioning configure security centre to stop monitoring anti-virus status.
    I am not sure how to do this 2nd option?

4. Phantom010

Have you tried my procedure?

5. Tinabrook

Tinabrook Thread Starter

I have tried. Security Center startup type shows Automatic (Delayed start) It didn't show to stop only start. when I tried to go to the wbem It only showed wbemcomn.dll and said windows could not open to find on internet to open. This confused me so I did not do anything

6. Phantom010

OK, sorry but I'm not familiar enough with Windows 7 for a workaround.

7. Tinabrook

Tinabrook Thread Starter

Thanks anyway

8. Michael York

Michael York

Hi Tinabrook,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

This issue is usually caused by a problem with your installation of Norton Internet Security, but can also be caused by the presence of other real-time security applications. make sure you do not have any other real-time security applications installed, as they can cause conflicts and leave your system vulnerable to infection. The first thing you should do is to run Windows update, possibly multiple times, until you are informed that there are no more critical updates available.

Next, carefully follow the instructions below to properly remove and then reinstall the latest version of Norton Internet Security.

1. Click on the following link to download the Norton Removal Tool:

Norton Removal Tool and instructions

2. After you run the tool, please restart your computer. Then log in to Windows again and run the removal tool again. Restart your computer after it is finished running the second time as well.

3. Click on the link below and then choose the "Download" button under Norton Internet Security to download the latest installer.

Download the latest installer for Norton Internet Security

4. After the installation is complete, launch Norton Internet Security and proceed with the Activation process if prompted.

5. Manually run LiveUpdate to ensure you have the latest patches applied. If any updates are applied, restart your computer after they have been installed.

6. Check the Windows Security Center and it should now indicate that Norton Internet Security is protecting you. Make sure that the Windows Firewall and Defender are both disabled as well.

Let me know if this process resolves the issue.

Thank you,
    Mike

9. Tinabrook

Tinabrook Thread Starter

I have been away so only just picked up your reply.Before I uninstall Norton I should like to point out that Action centre indicates that Norton is working ok. It states firewall is on,windows updates on automatic - up to date.Norton antivirus up to date and scanning.Spyware on.
    It is only when I go into performance Info & tools- advanced tools and run resource and performance monitor system diagnostics that I get the message saying the security centre has not recorded an anti-virus product - Do I actually have a problem?

10. Michael York

Michael York

Hi Tinabrook,

Can you please verify for me which Norton product and version you currently have installed. Also, please let me know which version and build of Windows 7 you are using as well as how much RAM is on your system.

Thanks,

Mike

11. Tinabrook

Tinabrook Thread Starter

Hi Mike,
    I have Norton Internet security 2010 performance pack (includes utilities) installed.
    I have Windows 7 Home Premium 4.00 GB Ram 64 -bit operating system
    I hope this is the info you need.

12. valis

valis Moderator

michael:

I just want to say thanks for stepping in on this...........it's good to have you onboard.

13. Michael York

Michael York

Hi Tinabrook,

Thank you for providing me with the information about your system. The good news is that your system is protected by Norton Internet Security 2010 and this error is most likely related to a problem with the Windows 7 reporting tool. Symantec is currently investigating this issue.

As long as the Norton Internet Security main window shows that you are up to date, and there are no Red error messages, your computer is being protected by the layers of security provided by Norton Internet Security 2010. To be completely sure that Auto-Protect is working, you can try the Eicar virus test at the link below.

Eicar Virus Test

I hope this information helps, and s soon as I receive more information about the Windows 7 reporting Tool, I will reply back to this thread.

Thanks again,

Mike

14. Michael York

Michael York

Hi valis,

I m glad I can help out on Tech Support Guy with issues related to Norton consumer products. As you can see, I have been here for a while and I will continue to assist whenever possible.

Cheers,

Mike

15. Tinabrook

Tinabrook Thread Starter

Hi Mike, I am sure you are right as everything seems to be working ok. I am still learning with windows 7 as a "50s child" it takes me a bit longer to learn new technologies. I am very grateful there are people like yourself around willing to help out.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921505

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice