1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

diagnostic tool + error reporting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by saj1011, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. saj1011

saj1011 Thread Starter

Hello,

I have been downloading just about every diagnostic tool that I could find on Cnet, however none of them produce an error report that I can see so far. All the tools tell me what I have on my system, but what I want is a thorough analysis tool that will tell me what is wrong with my system. Does such a thing exist?

The problem I have is that my systems works ok, on a very basic level, like for tv streaming, internet and MS office. But not for anything that requires any degree of advanced graphics, even with old simple games.

I have no idea what is wrong and it is annoying because I cannot use my Steam account anymore!

Also, the fan on the graphics card goes nuts when do anything that requires it to work....

Any advice welcome!

Thanks

2. trogdo

trogdo

Could you describe the problem in more detail and provide us with the list of your components?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, no one has any idea what type of hardware. Post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact mb, exact cpu, exact pw supply, exact video card, etc, etc. Note do not post 8gig of ram; post the exact brand and model# Do that for all of your parts. If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, then post the exact make and model. If you have a service tag, post that as well.

Next have you checked your temps and voltages? If not, do so. Specifically the cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. This info should be available in the bios OR if you have an asus or gigabyte mb, there is purpose designed monitoring software for those boards.

4. saj1011

saj1011 Thread Starter

Thanks guys, so pc runs ok with basic operation on ms office, internet streaming etc, but if want to play any FPS games (even old ones) the graphics card starts going mental, makes loud whirring fan noises and then the PC crashes.
    I would also state that the graphics card has not been used much and until now the pc was mostly used for ms office and internet, like a work pc.
    I also realise the gfx card is a few years old, but was more than capable of running games a few years ago. I still want to play some of those old games that are on my steam account.

Running Windows 7 Home Premium

Hardware

CPU Type Intel Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz
    CPU Measured Speed 3.00 GHz
    Motherboard ASUS P5Q-PRO
    Memory 4GB , Corsair CM2X2048-6400C4DHX
    Video Card Radeon HD 4850
    Hard Drive Seagate ST31000528AS (1 TB)
    Power Supply:

BIOS Information

BIOS Vendor American Megatrends Inc.
    BIOS Version 1306
    BIOS Date 08/20/2008
    Starting Address 0xF000
    ROM Size 1,048,576 Bytes (1,024 KB)

see temps on screen dump attached, computer been on for about 3 hours as at time of screen dump.

thanks

Attached Files:

5. saj1011

saj1011 Thread Starter

and...

Attached Files:

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Third party monitoring software is very often inaccurate. Since you appear to have an asus board, go to the support page for your mb. Download and install asus probe. It will give you accurate reading on temps and voltages.

Next it looks like your system is running pretty hot however asus probe will tell you for sure. The very max temp for your cpu is 72C which your post shows you are getting near and or exceeding.

Have you given the system a good cleaning with a can of air? If not, do so.

7. saj1011

saj1011 Thread Starter

is this all you need?:

ASUS PC Probe II

Alert Log Report

Number = 7
    ===================================================

[05/27/2015 at 06:25 pm] MB Temperature Abnormal, 50 degrees centigrade
    [05/27/2015 at 06:25 pm] CPU Temperature Abnormal, 70 degrees centigrade
    [05/27/2015 at 06:26 pm] CPU Temperature become normal, 61 degrees centigrade
    [05/27/2015 at 06:26 pm] CPU Temperature Abnormal, 69 degrees centigrade
    [05/27/2015 at 06:26 pm] CPU Temperature become normal, 62 degrees centigrade
    [05/27/2015 at 06:27 pm] CPU Temperature Abnormal, 70 degrees centigrade
    [05/27/2015 at 06:27 pm] CPU Temperature become normal, 62 degrees centigrade

8. saj1011

saj1011 Thread Starter

there was another huge report, see atchd,

also, i increased the rpm on cpu by double to 1200, seems to of reduced cpu temp!

Attached Files:

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Sort of; a screenshot of probe would be much better however you can see that you have an overheating problem.
    You still need to post voltages.

Most likely once you cure the overheating, you will fix the problem.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Your video card is also overheating.

Have you opened the computer up and cleaned out the dust and visually inspected all the fans both while off and while running?

11. saj1011

saj1011 Thread Starter

I removed all dust and gave it quite a clean. i bought a new fan for cpu also, which i still need to add. However the video card seems to overheat and is main problem, What are best solutions to further cool video card? As the on-board one in the video card seems to be not good.
    Thanks

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    How do the fans on the video card look? Are you sure you blew out all the dust? Use a can of compressed air to blow out dust.

Also what case do you have and how many case fans do you have? Where are those fans located? IS there good airflow around the computer or is it in a desk?

13. saj1011

saj1011 Thread Starter

hi Triple6,
    it only has the cpu, gpu power unit standard fans, fans have been cleaned today. Not sure about case manufacturer, bought it years ago and has no name! standard desktop box one, with 4 spaces for disk drives, 4 usb ports on front and other std features. I bought it in Germany in Konrad electronics shop!
    Also, see attcached, I had gpu fan running for about 30 mins on 100%, could only get it down to 80 degrees C.
    Note i also reduced the graphics performance settings to the lowest also.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The video card fan may have come loose; quite often they just use a plastic pin to hold on the heatsink/fan. The thermal compound may have dried out, etc.

In addition, you have other problems. If you check the 12V rail, it shows 11.7V; that is too low AND will cause reboots, bsod, etc.

In short, you have multiple problems; video card overheating, failing pw supply.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A failing PSU can cause overheating. How about the fan in the power supply? Is it working?

How did you clean out the fans? Have you checked that the heatsink on the video card is not loose?

Take a picture of the case with the side off and post it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148858

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice