Diagnostics: Freeware

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

harthagan

Can I get a recommendation on diagnostic freeware/shareware?

Would like to download a free diagnostic program that will help me with a computer slowdown.

Thanks.

You really should not open two threads for the same problem. Yes, they are two different questions but they are related, they could be asked in the same thread. It just makes following and solving a problem simpler.

No, I don't know of any magical free diagnostic program that will fix your problem. I have found even the purchased products do an awful job and generally mess up your PC even more.

Thanks DanO, I should have explained that when I posted the PCpitstop.

have you investigated heat related issues or possibly your hard drive being full?

No problem DoyceJ, The links you gave are good. I have never tried PCpitstop. It being web and DLL based makes me a little nerve. I read their privacy statement, but I am not sure if I trust them, as they collect a lot of personal information process it and report it back to you. With a downloaded program (.exe) and a firewall, such as ZoneAlert, you can control what is sent out, not so with PCpitstop. I know I am little paranoid, but these day you have to be or someone will take advantage of you.:rolleyes:

rhettman had a link here talking about a download manager. Following that link also has a nifty diagnoses utility that tells you what you have, as well as benchmarking your system and components.

It does not tell you what is wrong, but there is, as DanO mentioned, very little that can do it all for you, reliably!

bummer! i was hoping that someone offered a diagnosis freeware. pcdocrx and pc rescue claim to cure all of your PC's ills, but they aren't freeware. they are trialware. i won't download ANY trial software anymore as i've had programs that refuse to uninstall after you try them eg. bug doctor i think.

there should be a program in windows itself that tells you when you have missing or corrupt DLLs etc. i just bought a CD-R but can't use it because i'm missing WNASPI.32. i tried to download it from http://www.dll-files.com which has helped me in the past, but after downloading this DLL, i couldn't find it to unzip it and my CD-R software says it was missing the "?.?" file.

there should be a simple fix for problems that don't require users to know every line of code on their PC! it seems that EVERYTHING i do on my new PC causes more problems than solves. installing a video card has caused me a plug and play configuration error that i can't fix and now my CD-R won't work either. 0 for 2 is lousy performance.

they shouldn't be called PCs, they should be called "it sucks to be you thanks for your money and be prepared to HAVE TO UPGRADE very soons"

why can't someone make software that can fix these errors? i shouldn't have to push f1 every time i want to boot up and i should have a CD-R that actually WORKS or at least the ability to make it work.

does anyone know where i can buy a bill gates voodoo doll that's windows98 compatable?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online