1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dial Broadband pros/cons

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by poochee, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. poochee

poochee Thread Starter

I am considering switching from dial-up to dial broadband.

Interested in any pros or cons.

Thanks

2. helpmerick

helpmerick

There really aren't any negatives to moving to broadband. It simply isn't a dial-up world anymore. Updates, email attachments, and even many web sites now out pace the slowness of a dial-up connection.

Some may see price as one negative moving to dial-up, but I think you will make up for it in the increased usefulness of broadband, no need for a second phone line, and the time you will save no longer waiting for stuff to happen.

One word of caution, however, with a Windows machine, it is imperative that you keep a good anti-virus running all the time (I like AVG), use a hardware or good software firewall, use Firefox and run anti-spyware scans frequently. Otherwise, an unprotected Windows machine on broadband will tank fast. Keep it secure and you will be thrilled.

Good surfing to you on the high speed waves.

3. poochee

poochee Thread Starter

Thanks...my ISP offers it for only one dollar more a month.

4. helpmerick

helpmerick

What the heck are you waiting for??? :)

5. poochee

poochee Thread Starter

I'm chicken. My computer works so well, I hate to disturb it.:D I'm a sophisticated end user not a fixer!

6. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    It's a very good deal. Take it, and explore...A real difference, and well worthwhile..(y)

7. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

You have to take up that offer poochee the computer will be so much better with broadband,especially if you download things (the difference is unbelievable) ,and when you boot up you are already on the Internet as its always on (y) ...you really will think all your Christmases have come at once :D

8. guitar

guitar Banned

dial broadband? hmm is this the same as faster dial up offered by dodo and lizzy if so its not really broadband!

9. Benny Bumble

Benny Bumble

Hi, Guitar's got it right! Best you really clarify what is "dial braodband". I never heard of that moniker.Is it as he suspects the file compression technique? For only a buck that may be the case. Better check Poochee. True broadband - YES, dial-up - NO
    Ben

10. poochee

poochee Thread Starter

I will eventually work up the courage.

11. poochee

poochee Thread Starter

Look at: www.softcom.net for a run down.

12. Benny Bumble

Benny Bumble

Hi Poochee,
    Sorry to say, that stuff wont cut it!!! following is an excerpt from their site.
    "First, web page elements are compressed using our proprietary compression technology"
    They promote stuff being "5X faster". You won't notice any difference! "cheapy DSL" which aint bad is abt 21X faster, 768kilobit's versus ~45 kilobits. True "high speed internet" gets up into the megabits/sec.
    SAVE YOUR MONEY
    Ben

13. hewee

hewee

Your wonder why you never got broadband sooner after seeing how much faster it is.
    By the way your always connected so it is not dial broadband because there is nothing to dial.

But get a good firewall and a router also helps. If you get DSL then the modem may have a builtin firewall and or router.

Plus you be happy going to all the sites so fast. :D

14. poochee

poochee Thread Starter

Thanks folks for the input.

15. hewee

hewee

Your welcome poochee

See how long it took you to reply on dial up?

My post 08-Nov-2007 04:13 PM
    Your reply on dial up 08-Nov-2007 04:40 PM
    On High speed your reply would of been 08-Nov-2007 04:14 PM :p

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!