1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dial up box doesn't come up

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by starchild, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I've noticed this for the past few days.

When I click on the IE icon (my homepage would come up) the dialup box, to click connect, doesn't come up. It's like "work offline" is checked, but it isn't.

All that comes up is "this page can't be displayed" (because it's not online)

I went to dialup networking (MY COMPUTER) opened that, and sent a shortcut to my dialup setup to the desktop. I can click this and get a connection box, but not the one that usually compes automatically when I click on I.E. t go online.

Last week I had a trojan in sporder.dll file and AVG moved it to the vault. Looking online, I found people who had done this couldn't go online anymore after. But, I was still going online fine (without the sporder.dll file) Untill a few days ago.

I replaced the sporder.dll (not the one with the virus) and it didn't help.

So, I'm thinking it's something else. Something missing? A setting, a missing file?

I don't know where to look.

Thanks,

Carrie

2. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I forgot, I have WINDOWS 98 SE

I was going to edit and put this in, but people who get the posts via email notification would have already gotten the first one as is.

~ Carrie

3. sekirt

sekirt

Hi Carrie

Try to register it, see it that helps.
    Start->Run

Type: regsvr32 sporder.dll
    A box will come up and report results.

sekirt

4. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Something new, I never heard of before :)

I did this and got Sporder.dll was loaded, but the DllRegister Server entry point was not found. DllRegister Server may not be exported, or a corrupt version of sporder.dll may be in memory. Consider using PView to detect and remove it.

Okay, I'm lost.

What is PView and how do I find it?

There wasn't any sporder.dll in SYSTEM when I put this one in. Maybe the one I dl'd and put in wasn't any good?

But, I put the sporder.dll file in AFTER the dialup box had stopped showing up.

Last week AVG virus scan found a virus in sporder.dll and moved it to the vault. Worked fine (had a dialup box) for maybe 4 days after, then the box disappeared. I put in the sporder.dll I had dl'd when I thought I'd have a problem (after the virus) and it didn't change anything.

Wouldn't the WINDOWS system file checker show if something was missing or corrupted? Or does it have to be set a certain way (specifially) to look for all files?

~ Carrie

5. sekirt

sekirt

Often DLLs have to be registered but that isn't always the cure-all.

I did some poking around for your problem. Seems AVG targets that DLL and maybe it isn't corrupted. In any case if you replaced it, it should be OK.

You could have a Winsock problem. You can do it manually or with a program. Of all the ones I looked at, I like this one. Freeware. Works on all versions of Windows. Once you run it, you will have to reboot.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4372.html

sekirt
    (I would have gotten back sooner, except I knocked out my winsock, by accident, verifying that program for you) :eek: :mad: :D

I was thinking you were fairly certain that was the cause of the dial-up box. After re-reading your post, I don't know why your dial-up box isn't correct.

6. sekirt

sekirt

Check IE->Tools->Options->Connections Tab

This is probably the setting you had, see if it is checked:
    Always dial my default connection

sekirt

7. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Sekirt you're a genious :)

I never thought to look at internet options and the connections tab (since I hadn't changed anything). I didn't connect anything in there with the dialup box coming up.

It had "never dial my internet connection" checked!

It must have skipped to that by itself for some reason.

I checked the "always" setting (that had been checked last I knew) and it fixed it.

Do I still have to do anything (register) the sporder.dll?

When I looked up about the trojan I found quite a few had AVG finding it (around the same time). Some deleted it and couldn't get back online.

Maybe they have newer Windows or something.

Thanks,

Carrie

8. sekirt

sekirt

(y)

[​IMG]

Nothing else to do, if everything is working!

sekirt

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!