1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dial up box

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Nita, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nita

Nita Thread Starter

My grandsons aged 8 & 10 have been visiting and playing on my computer, since then the dial up box which normally appears when I go to Internet explorer and put in an address does not appear. I just get this site is unavailable cannot find the server. I can connect by clicking on the 2 little green arrows in the taskbar but would like to get my dial up box back. I am wondering if something came up on zone alarm, one of these messages asking whether such and such a programme can access the internet and they either checked yes or no without asking, naturally they deny doing anything of the sort. Can anyone out there help me out.
    I forgot to say that I am on windows 98se , Internet explorer 6 and am on broadband

2. Pancake

Pancake

Go to Control Panel and open up Network Connections and right click on you connection icon.In the drop menu will be a Create Shortcut.Click on this and it will put an icon on the desktop.

3. Nita

Nita Thread Starter

Thank you, this certainly works but will not restore the situation I had before, namelywhen I put an address in internet explorer and clicked on go this dial up box would appear I would then click on connect.I would ideally like to restore this situation.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have a look at tools>internet options>connections (or via control panel internet options) - see whats ticked there, you should have a dailup as default and a tick for always dial my default connection.
    i suspect you have never dial ticked

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    just noticed you said you are on broadband - so i now dont understand why you had a dial up before???

6. TO Lady

TO Lady

I think she's referring to her connection box, not 'dialup box'. Me, if I had two kids that age in my house, they wouldn't even be allowed in my computer ROOM, let alone on the computer!! *LOL*

7. Nita

Nita Thread Starter

Thank you etaf. You sorted it.I don't know how it got unticked.I am very grateful. I have always had the conection box and don't like to leave it connected when I'm not using the internet as I feel that the longer you stay on line the greater the chance of being attacked by whatever.
    Tolady .. wait til you become a grandma.. I'm afraid these young ones are alot more computer savvy than I am

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    glad to have helped,
    I have sons who are now 13 and 15, and as I suspect (remember my children aged 8 & 10) you grandchildren have no fear of computers and use them as a tool/toy....

i think its great however, i have had to re-instal OS before on win95 after they played around, but with XP and win2000 at least i can now give them a user account not admin, and they are forced to ask me before installing or deleting stuff

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216272

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice