1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dial up connection cable

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by steve g, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steve g

steve g Thread Starter

At present I connect to my broadband ISP using a wireless router . So that I can keep a previous email address active I need to log on to an old Pay As You Go dial up connection at least once every 60 days . I have set up the the connection in 'Network connection' etc in the control panel but get the error " no dial tone " when i try to use it . Should i be disconnecting the router and plugging in the phone cable to the PC directly ....... as we did in pre broadband, dial up only days . Advise please on how to best ' cable ' the set up .
    cheers Steve g

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you're dialing out, you need a phone line from the dial-up modem to the phone jack on the wall. Your broadband router, modem, and network adapters have nothing to do with this setup. They're completely independent.

3. steve g

steve g Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. ..so i need a cable between the phone wall jack and the socket on the PC labeled Modem Line Jack . Is that right . thanks again

Cheers Steve G

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yep,
    exactly what you will need

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Are you sure that you have to dial into this service, or that you even can, in order to just check e-mail? The provider doesn't offer a web interface or POP access using an e-mail client (Outlook Express, etc.)?

6. steve g

steve g Thread Starter

Thanks D. Helix . yep it is all sorted I am receiving mail into OEx at the moment but to keep the Pay You Go dial up active I must log in once every 60 days by dial up .
    cheers Steve G

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!