1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dial-up Connection doesn't stay connected

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by twillwood041, Feb 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. twillwood041

twillwood041 Thread Starter

Hey,

I use a dial up connection and I like to keep my computer connected for long periods of time but i've noticed after every 6 hours, my modem disconnects automatically, screwing up everything I was downloading.

I tried to check all my settings but I can't find anything that determines how long the pc stays connected until it disconnects.

The bottom line is I want to connect my computer and have it stay connected for as long as I want, not 6 hours.

Thanks for your help,

-Tom

2. Top Banana

Top Banana

Every ISP has a dial-up cut-off. Mine is 2 hours. Yours is 6 hours. You are very lucky.

Only solution.......Get broadband. Always on. No cut-off.

3. twillwood041

twillwood041 Thread Starter

I had a feeling that my ISP controlled that and now I know for sure. Guess I'm going to look into broadband.

Thanks a lot,

-Tom

4. Top Banana

Top Banana

Yep, nothing you can do about it, Tom. I can't get broadband...I would jump at it. Stuck with 56k.

Good luck. Hope it's available in your area.

5. $teve

$teve

broadband...............best thing i ever did.............if you use the net for long periods.........it works out cheaper than dialup anyway.............specially in the uk:rolleyes:

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116677

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice