1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dial up connection problem--Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by harryr1928, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. harryr1928

harryr1928 Thread Starter

I have put my Internet Explorer favorites on the start menu. When I click start, then favorites, and then click on a link, sometimes it will dial up and go to that particular web page as it should. Most of the time however, it will only partially load the Internet Explorer page. It doesn't dial up and just locks at that point. When that happens I have to dial up my ISP directly, then open Internet Explorer, go to my favorites menu from there and then to the link I want.
    I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me on this.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Check your settings under Internet Options under Connections and see if the Remote Access services are running and set to automatic.

3. anand1

anand1

Delete the Dialup network and try to Make a new Dial up connection. This will solve it. Inform after this is it working or not.

4. harryr1928

I did what you said but it made no difference.
    Thanks anyway.

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Spend a few bucks more and get DSL....

Try this

Upgrade the modem driver even if the one that they have is the same version

Get on line before clciking the favorite....

6. harryr1928

In Internet Explorer I clicked on tools, then internet options, then the connections tab, then settings. I find no reference to remote access services set to automatic or otherwise.
    Thanks anyway

7. harryr1928

Good suggestion but DSL isn't available where I live out in the boondocks.
    Also I know that going on line and then clicking on favorites will do it. The only problem is, I am trying to get this thing to work like it is supposed to.
    Finally, you may have found one of your elders this time. I was born in 1928
    Thanks for nothing

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

It is not a matter of knowing what you are doing on-line or not knowing it might be a matter of your modem might not have the proper command knowledge to kick in when it is off-line and a command is given to go on-line. Upgrading the mod3m driver in my opinion is one of the best things to do to help the modem accept the command. There are also other things but in my opinion this is a good place to start. And as for the Thanks for nothing I guess I do have to apologize for that it is just that I have a certain way to try and get things done and if I thought it was nothing I sure would not have posted it. I will not post for you again as I do not want to show any disrespect back to you.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

All services are available through the Microsoft Management Console. Run: mmc.exe and add the snap-in, Run: services.msc, or go to Control Panel > Admin Tools > Services.

10. harryr1928

Thanks for trying to help. I did what you said but it still didn't solve the problem

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!