1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dial-up Connection tenacity

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by fenris_wolf, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fenris_wolf

fenris_wolf Thread Starter

Three weeks ago Dial-up connection began appearing every time I boot up and every time I shut down. At boot up it appears as soon as the desktop becomes operable. I must cancel Dial-up connection exactly three times in each instance before I can do anything else. At shut down, it appears in the moment after the icons have left the desktop but while the background is still there. The machine will not proceed with shut down until Dial-up connection is cancelled. I'd like to find a way to keep it from doing this. I am running Win98 on an IBM Aptiva platform. My thanks in advance for your help.

2. KRoyal

KRoyal

Do you have AOL Instant Messanger running? I had exactly this same problem and discovered it was being caused by AIM. AIM starts itself at boot up even though it is not in my start up menu. It then starts the dial-up. And it takes 3 cancels before it will stop. When you first boot up, right click on the icon in the tray, choose exit. This will stop the dial-ups this time. I don't know how to stop it completely except to delete AIM.

3. AAPlus

AAPlus

Hello, fenris_wolf

have a look at msconfig & look at startup tab

you may find what prog is running at startup

4. AAPlus

AAPlus

Hey, fenris_wolf

is your Anti-virus scaner trying to Auto update

or any prog

Good Luck

5. bestshotdude

bestshotdude

AAPlus is probably right on the money. I downloaded ZoneAlarm and found that with my system running Norton and SoundBlaster auto updates it was causing me the same problem. With ZoneAlarm it asks for your permission to connect and gives you the option of yes or no to be permanent.

6. fenris_wolf

Thanks. I don't have AOL. I'll reconfigure Norton and let you know what happens.

7. fenris_wolf

I turned off live update on Norton AV but it did not affect the problem. While it is true I have ZoneAlarm running, this problem pre-existed my present download of that program. A review of programs running at startup revealed no likely candidates. As Mae West said, "I'm open to suggestions."

8. $teve

$teve

do you have just one dial up service or more? if more than one,is it the same box all the time or do they pop up one after the other?
    i had this problem a couple of years back....cant remember why or how i sorted it.......ill keep my thinking cap on and one eye on this thread.
    good luck

9. Maui_cool

Maui_cool

I had this exact problem.

I found out it was Norton AV 2002 trying to register me when I thought I had registered already. The connection box would pop up everytime I rebooted and take 5 clicks to get rid of it.

If this is your problem then you must go to:

Start + Run and type in " iralrshl /force ", then click "ok" to get the Norton registration screen come up. Then finish your Norton registration.

aloha

10. fenris_wolf

In response to the past couple of suggestions:
    (1) I have just one dial up service.
    (2) The boxes pop up one after the other.
    (3) My Norton 2002 has already been registered.
    (4) The problem began before installing Norton 2002.

11. mhughes

mhughes

You have added an application that needs the net to operate, weatherbug, AIM etc. When you run msconfig what programs are listed?

12. fenris_wolf

msconfig>startup shows the following programs to be
    checked:

AdSubtract CE
    System Tray
    ScanRegistry
    TaskMonitor
    LoadPowerProfile
    K6CPU
    IBMCPU
    NAV Agent
    ScriptBlocking
    TrueVector
    MiniLog
    ZoneAlarm

13. mhughes

mhughes

As the problem started before the zone alarm installation , how about email programs? any check when signed on?
    Just another suggestion.

14. fenris_wolf

Hmmm. I'm not sure what you mean about "any check when signed on." I have used Outlook Express as an e-mail program for five years. It is set so that "connect" on Dial up connection must be clicked before it opens.

15. mhughes

mhughes

It was just a thought, if somehow on tools, options,on the general tab,send/receive got set to connect.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66030

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice