1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dial-up Connection

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by baileycorra, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. baileycorra

baileycorra Thread Starter

Hi, I have a question about my dial-up internet. I was wondering if there's a way to set it up so that when someone is trying to phone me it will disconnect me from the internet. I think you can do it if you have call waiting, but I don't subscribe to it right now. Is there any way to do this or do I need call waiting? Thanks in advance for any replies!

2. Benny Bumble

Benny Bumble

I think you need call waiting which will give you an indication on your screen telling you someone is calling, but otherwise won't disconnect you.
    Other than that go for DSL if it's available
    Ben

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Agree with the above, unless you have call waiting, there is absolutely no ability for you or your computer to know that someone is calling. All they get is an engaged tone, all you get is an uninterrupted connection.

With Call Waiting, you get "beeps" that indicate a call is waiting, some modems will drop out as the beeps interrupt the data but many will still hang onto the connection.

Then you need a V.92 modem and suitable driver to pop up a warning that a call is waiting. Reliability is reasonable, but not perfect from what I understand.

You can also get small hardware attachments such as these:
    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH6837

They still need call waiting enabled, but are more reliable in many cases.

In short though, nothing will work unless you have call waiting enabled on the line.

4. Bacicat

Bacicat

I don't have call-waiting and AOL had that call service., you have to pay for.
    I think call-wave is similiar.
    I would be online and it would pop up that a call was incoming, it would show who was calling (like caller ID) and if they chose to , they could leave a message. which I could retrieve and hear like voicemail.

I know this wasn't exactly the question. but it's a similiar option if you don't want to miss calls while your online.

5. baileycorra

baileycorra Thread Starter

Thank you all for the information, it is very helpful. Switching from dial-up to broadband isn't really in my budget right now, but at least I have the option of adding call waiting so I don't miss any calls. My apt. building recently changed the intercom system so instead of people just buzzing me they have to dial my number - which means if I'm online, they get a busy signal! :rolleyes: Thanks again for the info!

6. Bacicat

Bacicat

I'm on dial up also.
    There are paying services out there that will allow you to get your calls while online - and most offer free trials. You could go months without paying a dime, since most will offer another month, and another. They want you as a customer.

So, it depends if these are more cost effective than call waiting. Or if you have the patience to try the different services.
    But I know if I had call waiting, my isp has a free service that would alert me to the calls, but the other options are cool because they are like an answering machine.

7. Benny Bumble

Benny Bumble

Hi, don't know what you're paying for dial-up, but IF Verizon DSL is available it's only $19.99/month. Just depends whether it's available at your location is all. Speed is adequate & you don't lose the telephone.
    Ben

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543159

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice