1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dial up logon passwords changing and connect to internet screen changes

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by davidx, May 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidx

davidx Thread Starter

High I've got a prob that is sort of a problem. When I created a new isp dailup connection for a different isp to my main one to check o0ut there service thiings have changed. My password stars *** have become about 10 * long when my login is only 6 both connections have changed to this. If I click in the password and type in the 6 digit one it connects but next time I go to connect there are 10 or so *** there. ANy ideas why this is happening.

Also I used to have to go to start/connect to/service provider to get connected even if i had firefox open or OE now when I open them a connect screen automatically comes up.

also if i connect to first then firefox and start browsing after 20 minute the idle disconnect screen comes up even if i have been surfing the whole time.

I geuss thess don't effect day to day running but i want to know why things have changed

ta, davidx

win xp home

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The reason you're seeing 10 asterisks instead of 6 is for security reasons. It's normal behavior.

3. Topazz

Topazz

That would be impossible for anyone to answer without knowing your computer, your computing habits and lots of other information.

Often these things happen when spyware/malware gets onto a computer and sometimes things change when the computer has suffered a major crash or when a user has been "fixing" other things.

The password question is an easy one though. DoubleHelix has already answered that one and as mentioned, it is for security reasons so that unauthorised people looking at the password field will not be able to see how many characters your password contains and then perhaps guess your password.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!