1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dial-up modem connection dissappeared!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by moodybb, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moodybb

moodybb Thread Starter

My dial-up modem cooncection dissappeared since yesterday. Tried thru New Connection Wizard but the first two choices of Dial-up and Broadband are grayed out....

At the same time I cannot invoke system restore.

Any help will be appreciated

Am using Dell GX 620 desktop with win xp SP2

2. Claymore

Claymore

Hi,

Take a look at this fix:

http://forums.techguy.org/networking/167426-option-create-dialup-connection-greyed-2.html

Scroll down to Post #17

Before editing the Registry, suggest you back it up as follows:

In the Registry Editor, go to File => Export. Click the 'All' radio button. Give the file a name (e.g. backup-{date}) and Save to a location you can find later, if necessary. Double-clicking on the saved .reg file restores the Registry.

3. moodybb

moodybb Thread Starter

Hi Claymore

Thanks for the reply. Itried to invoke the Regedit and its not coming up either.
    Nor is Msconfig for that matter!

I did what you asked thru RegCopa registry editor (deleting folders 25 and 26) and rebooted but the Dial-up and the next option are still grayed out...

Could this be due to any virus or trojan???

Any help will be appreciated.

4. moodybb

moodybb Thread Starter

Hi

Something I did a couple of weeks ago.. I used the CCleaner utility could this be the culprit behind the disappearance?

5. Claymore

Claymore

OK, it sounds like maybe the modem driver is uninstalled or borked.
    If you go to Start => Run and type in msinfo32 and look in Modem, you'll see your modem model listed. If it isn't listed, it's become uninstalled.
    Go to this site and download the latest modem driver (click the + sign at Communications). If it's not the correct driver you should get a notification indicating this when you try to install.
    You can go to Device Manager, right-clcik on the modem and Uninstall it.
    Then install the downloaded driver.

We'll look at the msconfig and regedit issue later. Could be a virus. Meanwhile you'll want to run a virus scan, just to be sure.

6. moodybb

moodybb Thread Starter

Thanks Claymore

Which site should I go to for the modem driver?
    My modem is a wireless Usb modem called Franklin CCU 550 and works on CDMA (EVDO) technology.

7. Claymore

Claymore

In my previous post I forgot to give the website link (Duh!), but I see you have a fancy-schmancy wireless modem. This seems to be the site where you choose your model. I also see that you have to select an internet provider. I'm surprised that if this is the case, they didn't provide you with an installation CD.

http://www.fklt.com/support.php

This was the original page for your computer for a dialup modem:
    http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=PLX_GX620&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

8. Claymore

Claymore

I just had another thought. Are you on a dialup or DSL? I'm not familiar with that wireless modem. The greyed-out tabs would be for a dialup modem, I would think.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752629

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice