Dial up Networking with XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Markabrown

I am trying to set up a dial up network for a client of mine that is using XP on both PC's. One is a home PC and the other PC is conneted to his business LAN. I get an 678 error. The poblem that I noticed is that both the home and buisness PC will dial and ring the phone at each site but neither PC will answer the call. Is a second party software neede to complete this connection? By the way they are both using Win XP home addition.

JustMe2

Crystal
Markabrown,
Don't know much of anything about dial-up networking between 2 computers and XP. I'd assume that you'd have to have dial up server installed somewhere along the line on the computerthat you're dialing.
But, our company has always used PCAnyWhere whenever anyone requires dialup into one of the computers at our branches. Works quite easily for what we need, and is quite easy to configure.
JustMe2

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I believe you have to have auto-answer configured on the one that you expect to answer. You may run into other issues after one answers the phone, since dial-up networking expects to find a server at the other end. :) I'd consider something along the lines of LapLink, it's designed to allow you to do what you're trying to do.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online