1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dial-Up Networking won't Install Properly

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Lulie, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lulie

Lulie Thread Starter

Very Briefly,
    I inadvertently removed the Dial-Up Adapter that is needed for my Verizon DSL internet connection. I have attempted multiple times uninstall and re-install Dial-Up Networking and Virtual Private Networking (from .cabs files, from Windows 98SE disk, and from DUN 1.4 upgrade from MS web site), but have been unable to re-establish my internet connection.

I don't know a lot about networking, but what appears is happening is Windows installs the software, but when I examine the properties of the Dial-up Adapter they are configured incorrectly. For some reason they are automatically binding to IPX/SPX instead of TCP/IP (which is what my networking HW/SW require).

Please let me know if any additional information is needed to resolve this issue. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

2. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

How is your dial up adapter nessecary for connecting to your dsl modem? What brand/model of modem? Shouldn't you connect to it with via ethernet or usb? Or am I forgetting somethign about how 98 handles networking...(likely)

You may want to try this:
    this will force a reinstall from disk of all networking stuff.
    add-remove programs-> remove the MS DUN upgrade
    put the win98 cd in drive
    Open your network settings, and remove everything from the list of installed components. Click ok. Do not reboot. Open add-remove programs, click the tab for installed windows components. Remove the check for communications. Click ok. Do not reboot. Open add-remove programs again, click installed windows components. Double click communications, put a check in the box for dialup networking, hyperterm. Click ok. Do not reboot. Open your network settings again. Make sure your dialup adapter is listed, your ethernet adapter should also be listed. TCP/IP may be installed for each of these... if no, add tcpip protocol for each. (add->protocol->microsoft->tcpip). Now reboot.

3. Lulie

Lulie Thread Starter

Hi mtown onsite
    Thanks for your reply. Based on my conversations with Verizon, Dialup Adapter, Dialup Adapter #2 and VPN are required. I think it is because the HW I have (Verizon's original Westell modem and a Netgear NIC) is older (I think I've had this for almost 4 years). Also according to Verizon, I need the following network components: dialup adapter #1, dialup adapter #2, ivasion WinPoet Adapter, VPN Adapter and Netgear Adapter. They also confirmed it should be TCP not IPX. Is it possible my prior Novell VPN configuration is creating a conflict? If yes, can it be corrected?

In following the steps you suggested, after re-selecting dialup networking and hyterterm, the system prompted me for my 98SE cd (which I complied). Windows installed several components. There was a file version conflict with msnet32.dll (32 bit API library) and I chose to install the older version from the disk.

Next Add New Hardware Wizard started for an "Unknown Device". I allowed windows to search for the driver, but it was unable to locate it (this did not happen with my previous attempts to re-install DUN). I briefly saw what I thought was a Verizon icon. It may have been looking for the WinPoet drivers. This resulted in the HW not being installed. Next it loaded the drivers for the NIC. I again received the file version error (made same choice as before), but the HW installation was successfully completed.

Prior to rebooting, I examined my Network configuration and the following components were present: Client for MS Networks, Client for Netware, Dialup Adapter, Dialup Adapter #2 (VPN), MS VPN Adapter, Netgear Adapter, IPX/SPX Dialup Adapter, IPX/SPX Dialup Adapter #2, IPX/SPX Netgear Adapter, and NDISWAN VPN Adapter.

I rebooted and attempted to reload the Verizon software, but received the same error as before: MS DUN is either not installed or is corrupt.

Does any of this make sense or provide additional insight for you?
    Thanks,

Lulie

4. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

yes. I've seen vpns conflict with dsl before. One option for this is to try uninstalling the vpn, then trying to setup dsl. (you may want to talk to your IT staff at work first) If you can get to the dsl working, then try putting vpn back on.

Also, this verizon software may be looking for the newer versions of msdun... Did you reinstall that after the above mentioned uninstall/reinstall? Although, I know *nothing* about the verizon software.... Though, I don't know if you even need their software in particular to connect through the westell (is it a wirespeed?) modem. See if you can just find winpoet or some other pppoe client(try searching download.com for pppoe client). You may be able to install and use that even if the verizon software won't work... You *should* be able to connect through that modem with the winpoet pppoe connection (w/o vze software).

5. Lulie

Lulie Thread Starter

Well, it looks like I made one small positive step. I found another post that talked about another PPPoE (RASPPPOE). I installed it and (after a little work) got a connection, but it doesn't seem to be communicating (i.e. neither Explorer or Outlook are bringing up anything).

I'm not sure what to look at next. Any thoughts?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272375

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice