1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dial-Up Networking won't Install Properly

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Lulie, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lulie

Lulie Thread Starter

I also posted this in the Windows 95/98 forum, but I thought members viewing the network forum might be able to help as well.

Very briefly, I inadvertently removed the Dial-Up Adapter that is needed for my Verizon DSL internet connection. I have attempted multiple times to uninstall and re-install Dial-Up Networking and Virtual Private Networking (from .cabs files, from Windows 98SE disk, and from DUN 1.4 upgrade from MS web site), but have been unable to re-establish my internet connection.

I don't know a lot about networking, but what appears to be happening is Windows installs the software, but when I examine the properties of the Dial-up Adapter they are configured incorrectly. For some reason they are automatically binding to IPX/SPX instead of TCP/IP (which is what my networking HW/SW require). I also noticed that when I add the MS Networking client, the Netware client automatically loads as well.

Years ago I connected to an employer's network remotely with this machine (through VPN). I'm fairly certain that was a Netware based system, so maybe this is where the problem is stemming from?

Please let me know if any additional information is needed to resolve this issue. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

2. bil4hire

bil4hire

Didn't you get the network set-up cd-rom from Verizon for the network and e-mail set-up?
    That's the easiest way to get everthing straight again.

3. Lulie

Lulie Thread Starter

The Verizon software won't install until Dial-up networking is correctly configured.

4. bil4hire

bil4hire

With Verizon DSL you shouldn't need the Dial-up network adapter at all, Thats for the dial-up modem adapter in the PC, You should be connecting the DSL modem to the network card in the PC. Go into the network properties and remove the IPX/SPX (and even removed dial-up adapter if you don't think you'll be using it soon) and add the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" in the network settings and check that it defaulted to DHCP in the TCP/IP settings it self (I think it does it automatically)

5. Lulie

Lulie Thread Starter

We must be on the same wave length because I had done exactly what you suggested but with no luck. When I try to run the Verizon software, I get an error:
    "Microsoft Dial-up Networking is either not installed or is corrupt on your computer" and it request me to reinstall DUN (which I've done about 100 times now!).

I don't know if this is a DUN problem, a registry problem, a winsock problem, or something else. What started this whole thing was both my Dial-up Adapter (I believe this is required because I have an older Westell modem and Netgear NIC) and Ethernet adapter showed errors in device manager. My internet connection was still working, but I couldn't clear the errors (tried to reinstall drivers). Idiot me listened to the Verizon tech who suggested I delete the adapters and reinstall them ---> which led me to my current situation.

I did jot down the Dial-up Adapter configuration before I deleted it, but I've been unsuccessful at trying to re-establish this configuration.

6. bil4hire

bil4hire

Are the drivers for the hardware correct, did they have you removed the ethernet adapter and modem adapter from the hardware list in system properties and reboot, and did they both reinstall on reboot correctly (check the actual hardware config to see if there are any IRQ or other duplicate problems)
    Make sure the dial-up adapter is not in the network properties before you reattempt the Verizon cd set-up
    I have never seen that error come up when I tried to install the Verizon cd set-up before, kind of weird :)
    You should also try and get a newer modem from Verizon and dump the old Westell modem (seen to many Verizon connections run slow because of the older type modems)

7. Lulie

Lulie Thread Starter

I'm beginning to think this is an iVasion WinPoet issue. I believe that the ethernet and modem adapters were removed, but I'll have to check it. I do seem to remember on one boot up that the HW install Wizard came up looking for winpoet drivers, but it wouldn't install them from the the Verizon CD I have.

According to Verizon, dial-up adapter must be there (I think because I have older HW). When I actually get a somewhat clean install (with IPX instead of TCP), the Verizon software won't load (DUN error). If I add the TCP protocol and remove the IPX protocol, Verizon's software will run, but can't get beyond the point of the modem test, so nothing installs.

You're probably right about upgrading my modem, but unfortunately I can't afford it right now. Maybe if Verizon offers some type of upgrade program.

Any other thoughts?

8. bil4hire

bil4hire

Try powering down the DSL modem and unplugging it for a short time and after the status lights on the modem show that it's connected. Remove any other netware/Novell and the only thing in the network properties should be "Client for Microsoft Networks" "File and Printer sharing" "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" for now.
    Reboot after the changes and rerun the Verizon set-up cd and see if it makes it to the modem test and the lights on the modem should show some activity during it and see if it gives you a error then.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272393

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice