1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dial up problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by choissepj, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. choissepj

choissepj Thread Starter

I am using windows 2000 pro. When I try to connect to the net via dial up, I get two different errors.

The first attempt after the computer has been rebooted gives the following:

Error 6 the "handle" is invalid. Clicking on more info indicates that the password my be typed incorrectly.

Any other attempts to connect are the same results except for the error now states:Error 50 the network request is not supported. Clicking on more info shows basically the same as before, the password my be typed incorrectly.

This all occurs after the normal noises of a dial up and when it gets to the
    authentication. I get the error and it counts down to redial. I have never had any trouble until I down loaded a "Hot fix" from Microsoft.

H E L P! :confused:

2. Freddy4Toes

Freddy4Toes

Go to your Control Panel and double-click on Add/Remove Programs and remove the Hotfix. This should get you around the situation until you find the actual work-around. (which I don't know).

3. choissepj

choissepj Thread Starter

I thought of that. However there are 5 or 6 hot fixes showing up and I am not sure which one it was.

I was also told to be careful deleting hotfixes because you are messing with system files.

Also I tried to find by date which one is was but it does not show the hotfixes dates.

4. Freddy4Toes

Freddy4Toes

I understand your hesitation. You can indirectly figure out when you installed it by going to your %windir% either "windows" or "winnt". The Hotfix folders start with $NTuninstall<Knowlege Base Article#>. Click on your "View" and select "Details". The folder dates should give you a gestament of when you installed them. Technically, the uninstalls are supposed to "restore" the files it messed with. But, we are dealing w/ Microsoft here :)

5. choissepj

choissepj Thread Starter

Thanks, I will try that!

6. Freddy4Toes

Freddy4Toes

BTW: If you want to make an "educated guess", as to which Hotfix to remove, you can take the KB# and look in Microsoft's Technet and read the article to see if it has anything to do with Dialup Networking (DUN):

http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&View=en-us&s=6&c=0&qu=KB810217

Just substitute the "KB810217" with your KB#s and you should be to walk though the explanations in no time.

Just went out to their site and they can't even get their KB search input right. The KBxxxxxx is eight characters and they have a seven char field. Go figure! :eek:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270243

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice