1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dial up problems

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by GCou, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GCou

GCou Thread Starter

Hi, I was wondering if anybody could help me out??
    I have recently purchased a used laptop, Compaq Armada 700Mhz, 256Ram using Windows 2000.
    All seems fine until I try and use Internet Explorer. I am using the same dial up ISP as my desktop (300mhz, 128 Ram, Windows 98) yet the laptop is ridiculously slow, to the point of unusable. Download speeds on the laptop are a paltry 600bps.
    I am using everything the same on my desktop, i.e. line, isp, telephone extension and that works fine. Could the problem lis with the modem on the laptop? And if so, you'll have to pardon my ignorance here, would installing broadband bypass the laptop's modem??
    Regards
    Graeme..

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Yes, installing broadband would bypass the modem since broadband connections do not use dial-up modems.

3. GCou

GCou Thread Starter

Hi Double Helix
    Thank you for your response, I was aware that the dial up modem was different, perhaps I didnt word my question correctly...as I have never used broadband before I wasnt sure of the actual interface to the laptop...I.e RJ11, USB etc....and if it is a RJ11 i.e same as dial up would I still have the same problems at the interface between the laptop and the connection.
    Again thank you for your response
    Graeme

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Ideally, you should have the modem connect tot he computer through a network card (same thing as ethernet port). USB modems introduce the problem of installing and managing drivers.

No broadband modem would connect to your dial-up modem (ie RJ11 port).

What are you using to determine your currently dial-up speed on the laptop? Is that the speed your system says you're connected at? Since it's a used system, it could have all sorts of viruses and/or spyware on it that would cause it to run slow, but that would not affect the actual connection speed.

If you know the make and model of the laptop, you could try downloading and reinstalling the modem drivers to see if that makes a difference.

5. GCou

GCou Thread Starter

Hello again DoubleHelix
    The download speed was 600bps when I tried to download a file, not too sure how to test the connection speed. The modem on the laptop is an LT win Modem. The laptop was purchased on ebay, I have used a clean up program and cleared the windows registry etc, the hard drive is showing as almost empty, I'm assuming it was wiped clean before hand. I'll try your suggestion of downloading and reinstalling the modem drivers and see if that helps. As broadband will not be getting fitted until next month :(
    Thanks again
    Graeme.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

How did you determine that the connection speed is only 600bps?

7. GCou

GCou Thread Starter

Hi
    The download speed was showing on the message box when I was downloading a file, i.e. the box that shows the amount of file left to transfer.
    graeme

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

That's just from one site. Not really a test of your actual speed.

9. trithionic

trithionic

Yes, setting up broadband would increase your download speeds. You would probably get the same speed as on your desktop. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535971

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice