dial up shows as connected but no pages load

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jerbevpicasso

We recently gave our aunt a used pc as we got a newer one. It has Win XP with IE6. She wanted a dial isp so we got her earthlink. Now the issue we are having is that it connects, we see that it actually shows (connected at 28/56kps). However once we click on IE, all we get is "The page cannot be displayed" no matter what we try. We tried the "flush" to no avail. Is there any list of things I can try to get this working properly? Or links/suggestions we can try? I haven't messed with a dial up in years so I am rusty. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You

TerryNet

Terry
Control Panel - Internet Options - Connections tab - Settings... - make sure 'Use a proxy server for this connection' is NOT checked. I'd also make sure the two options above that are not checked.

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online