Dial-up sufficient for Half life 2?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sharker

Hi. I have been intending to get Half Life 2, however I have read some comments that say that the game keeps having to download so many things from the net that you really need a broadband connection. As I only have a dial-up connection (that my IPS disconnects after two hours), I am uncertain as to whether I should get the game or not.

Does anyone know about this? Is this still a problem with Half Life 2? Will I need to download a few things at the beginning but from then on be able to play off-line?

Would be glad of advice.

Thanks.

If you want to just play the single player, then yes, dial up is fine. At first, the game will make you register online, and it will probably try to download updates as well, but if you can stay connected through that, you're fine. You can set it to be in 'offline mode', so that it doesn't try to connect to the internet every time you play.

Sharker

So you don't think that there will be a problem with getting the updates with the two hour cut off? Actually I download things all the time that take longer but I use a download manager that can continue an interrupted download. I don't know if Half Life 2 will be able to do this.

Anyone else have any experience on this?

yes and i no longer use dial up. You will not be able to play multiplayer games. You will be able to download the updates and patches. It will just take a very long time.

I'm fairly certain that Steam has a similar feature built into it, it downloads what it can, and then resumes where it left off automatically. I wouldn't worry about it, you may even be able to play without getting updates anyway, but Steam might jump the gun and try to download before you play.

i'll confirm what mctimson said about the built in feature for steam...i have used it many a time during the shakey upstart of my FiOS service. But as everyone else has said, it'll take a really long time to get everything.
-mphair

Hmm, more details on the shaky upstart thing please. I've been considering switching to FiOS when I move in a few weeks.

i dont wanna hijak sharker's thread so i'll keep it short...
not what i quite expected speedwise from them but all "shakey-connection-ness" of the ordeal was my fault.
i can write you a lengthy response if you send me a pm
-mphair

Sharker

Thanks for your advice. If I need to, I'll try and get the updates over night. Half life 2 here I come...!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!