1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dial-up: tried everything...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JohnJ, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohnJ

JohnJ Thread Starter

Situation is I can't get a computer to dial up.
    I've tried putting the modem in another computer and it works fine.
    I've tried taking out anything invaluable of the problem computer (ie: all other cards, even cd-rom).
    I've tried removing and reinstalling the modem out of the device manager.
    I've even took the modem and hard drive to a different computer and it won't dial up.
    Tried a brand new modem in the problem computer and it would not work either.
    So, in other words after swaping everything possible out, it has to be some sort of configuration in the software or something.
    The people that own the computer was on tech support with the ISP for about 2 hours and they "determined" it was the modem, because the phone line worked and all the configurations on the problem computer were ok from what they could tell. I myself checked all the configurations that I know of and can not see any problems.

When trying to dial up, it starts like normal, then says it's dissconnecting. Once it dissconnects it will give you one of two errors: 1. the computer you are dialing to is not answering, or 2. the modem is not properly installed or there isn't one installed

What Could It Be!?!?!?!???

2. PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown

Im thinking drivers on this issue, how old are they? tried upgrading them? maybe a init string would work

3. JohnJ

JohnJ Thread Starter

tried old and new drivers......neither worked (except when I took out the modem and put it in a good pc.

(windows 98 OS if anyone is wondering)

I'm not familiar with the init strings... please explain that further.

Thanks!

4. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

Computer specs, brand/model number of modem please.

5. JohnJ

JohnJ Thread Starter

It's an old HP Pavillion running Win98
    Not sure about the old modem (it's a stock model)
    The new modem we tried was a US Robotics.
    I'll post all the model numbers later today.

6. suesman

suesman

Is the "second computer" hook to the same phone line?
    Does Windoze recognize the modem?

I had a similar problem a long time ago & all the time it was a bad phone line. If that's not your case, I really haven't a clue.

7. JohnJ

JohnJ Thread Starter

Same phone line (cord) for both modems and both computers. I've tried everything and am so confused as to what it could be....

Windows does recognize the modem (plug n play)

8. Rockn

Rockn

Is there a port conflict between what the PNP setup is using and a physical COM port in the PC?

9. JohnJ

JohnJ Thread Starter

Under the device manager it reports no conflicts.
    I also tried different PCI slots on the problem computer. Doing so assigned the modem different IRQ's (sometimes it wouldn't even assign one), IRQ's that were tried were 5, 9, and 11.

10. b@k3d

[email protected]

What protocols is on the access number that you are dialing into, does it support v.92, alot of the USR modems will return that same message because the cant agree on the protocol on the gateway your dialing into.

Can try the init string to force lower protocol to test modem, if that works you will want to update the modem drivers.

for USR external modem: S32=66

Hope this works

11. JohnJ

JohnJ Thread Starter

Well, it's an internal modem if that matters for the init string. The original modem was working fine until about a week ago. The new modem that was bought to replace the old modem (when we thought the old modem was bad) supports both v.90 and v.92. I'll have to check this evening after work about the old modem protocol, though I tend to think it will be v.90 cause it has never been changed and the computer is rather old (late 90's)

Anything else it could be??.....

12. dzones

dzones

ok try this out, go to your control panel and open up your network icon. remove ALL network protocols..ie...Dial up adapter etc..
    once you remove them all it will tell you to restart the computer. Before you do that go ahead and remove Dial up networking as well. Once you restart windows will reload all the protocols back in that it needs, also make sure dial up networking gets re-installed.
    Before you do any of this you must make sure you have a windows 98 cd. if dial up networking does not go in automatically then install it through the control panel/add remove prog/ windows setup tab.
    I have seen similar things like this and this has corrected the problem before.
    hope that works for you.
    Dave

13. JohnJ

JohnJ Thread Starter

Thanks I'll try that. Hopefully, I'll be able to squeeze that in during my lunch hour so I can let you know if it worked or not.

14. rmay635703

rmay635703

What com port is the modem on? If its anything other than 1, 2 ,3 , or 4 you've got major trouble.

Try disabling all of the com ports in the bios and see if that helps, if not try setting all com ports to auto and set PNP OS to NO.

Also boot up in safe mode and delete any modems you find listed. (sometimes modems install software bridge type drivers that cannot be removed without reinstalling windows cough motorolla/pctel)

DOes that modem happen to have a PCTel, connexant, or Motorolla chipset?

If so some older systems have core level (bios level) issues that prevented the modem from installing to a usable port, my old via socket 7 always installed PCTel modems to Com port 5 which of coarse doesn't work.

The only recoarse is to buy a hardware modem if none of the above help.

Good Luck

15. JohnJ

JohnJ Thread Starter

Didn't have time to try Dzones idea yet. I'll have to do that this evening after work. I believe the modem is a conexant but I have watched the com ports as well and each time it either installed it under com 2 or com 3.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!