1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dial-up Tweaks

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jackpan, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jackpan

jackpan Thread Starter

Are there any dial-up tweaks that could improve download/upload speeds? What I have in mind is perhaps adjustments in the Control Panel under "Modem" or "Network". I'm not looking for miracles. I'm looking for the best possible settings while using a dial-up modem. In the past I've gone to websites that claimed if I downloaded one of their files, it would automatically make adjustments to my registry. What a disaster! Any tips you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Piringa

Piringa

Yes there are settings to tweat for better performance. Although they will not affect your download speeds they will increase your connection uptime. That is to say you won't get cutoff as much.

I used to be on dial up and had a great connection with those tweaks. Cant really point you to any but try www.thescreensavers.com search for dial up tweaks or something.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Jackpan:

If you're using Windows 95, 98, 98SE, or ME, click the link below and read my article on 56K dial-up tweaks. The list is quite extensive, so have fun.

Frank's Windwos 95/98 Tips
    (Also a XP user)

4. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

The best dialup tweak is to disconnect every other piece of equipment that uses the phone line in your dwelling whether the modem is on a second line or not.

Soldering the actually phone wires directly to your modem's circuit board helps a little too.

Not practical, but it does help.

5. skyman

skyman

Dial up is dial up and the tweaks you can get are not going to help you be any faster on the web.

6. jackpan

jackpan Thread Starter

Thanks to all. You can close this thread.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice