1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dialing *70 to disable cw in xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Kerri Ann, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

i'm trying to help my friend setup her dialing properties so that it disables call waiting when she dials her internet connection, but i'm unfamiliar with xp. she uses aol as her browser, and she has xp pro.

2. Cookies

Cookies

She'll have to obtain the number to call for her area from aol. It's likely on their website.

This should help too. Substitute Tiscali for aol:
    http://www.tiscali.co.uk/help/connectionsettings/winxp_scratch.html When she reaches "Phone number to dial" type in the number she obtained from aol.

Example: If the number is 123-456, type in "*70,123456" (no quotes).

If it's long distance, she'll need to type in the area code first.
    Example: "*70,999123456".

3. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

Try this. Select "Start > Settings > Control Panal" in Control Panal open "Phone and Modem Options" select the dialing rules tab, select your location and then click on edit. At the bottom of the edit page, put a check in "To disable Call Waiting, dial" and to the right of that box, click the dropdown and select *70. Now select "OK" and "OK" to close.
    That's it your done.

John

BTW: That's one good lookin kid you have there.

4. yul

yul

if she already has access numbers on AOL, then on the sign on screen click on setup->expert setup->double click on one number and in the dit number screen at the bottom there will be an option for Dial *70.
    Check it.

5. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

Thanks yul, just goes to show I've never used AOL.

John

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

AOL has always used there own Dialup Adapter.

7. coderitr

coderitr

Just another reason to hate SOL!!!

Here's another ...

Several years ago I was visiting my father-in-law and wanted to check my email. I signed on to SOL and minimized their clunky interface. I opened internet explorer and got a cannot find server error. Thinking that the network configuration may need tweaking, I went there and found that TCP/IP was not even installed!!!! Everyone in the universe uses TCP/IP except SOL. They also don't support HTML 5 or the JPEG format (based on the last information that I've seen.) They convert JPEGs to their own proprietary image format and in the process lose a lot of color depth and image detail.

AOL = SOL

(If any of this information is out of date, I apologize.)

8. yul

yul

On the AOL toolbar click settings->preferences->internet properties(www)->web graphics tab->select 'never compress graphics'->apply->ok.

Now get the JPEG's that u want !

You definetely need to update your information.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172960

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice