1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dialling out using ME

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by AJGlasgow, Dec 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJGlasgow

AJGlasgow Thread Starter

My friend uses a Windows ME computer from his office and to is using a fax line to dial out. The problem is that he has to dial 9 in order to get an outside line, but he is having problems dialling out as the line is quite slow as he thinks the problem is because he has to dial 9 first and then the PC gets itself into a mess therafter trying to dial the actual number as the outside line has not been established yet. He has heard something about putting a wildcard after the 9 so as to delay the actual dialling of the number until the outside line has been established, but i am not sure what this is.... Any thoughts?

2. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

You actually want to put a comma after the 9 and before the ISP's number. This will dial the 9 and then pause the dial-out process for 5 seconds until the outside line has been raised.

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

The delay isn't always 5 seconds for each comma. That depends on other settings within the modem initialization string. It could be one second--or two, so you might need more than one comma to get the delay you need.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice