1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dialup Connection Monitors Flashing = DRIVING ME NUTSO!!!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Krelian, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Krelian

Krelian Thread Starter

Hi, 2 issues to run by ya today.

1. Is it possible to hide the two connection monitors for a dialup connection in the system tray? Maybe with a registry entry or program? The constant flashing is driving me nuts!

2. Ha, just kidding, only one issue. ;)

2. holy_saiyan1

holy_saiyan1

do you mean the "Modem Status" taskbar item next to the clock on your taskbar? :D if so i can help

3. Krelian

Krelian Thread Starter

YES! that's the one.. the two flashing monitors that go...flash...flash...flashflash...flash...AHHHH MAKE IT STOP, SOMEBODY PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!!

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Krelian:

When the 56K connection icon is flashing, it tells you that the connection is active and that data is being transferred, so it does have its good purpose. I wish Windows 98SE would allow the broadband connection icon to be displayed alongside the 56K connection icon just like Windows XP does.

By the way, I see that you only have 64 MB of RAM installed and are using Windows ME. You need to get more RAM installed. Windows ME and your other programs will be much happier with 256 MB.

5. Krelian

Krelian Thread Starter

I know what it means, it's just that I know when I'm connected anyway, and I have issues with the flashing, I can't concentrate on things when it flashes.

I am aware that my ram is pathetic, but this machine shipped with that much ram. I would upgrade, but I don't have the money. And yes, I know ram is cheap, but I've got finacial problems right now. I can bearly afford food. =P

6. holy_saiyan1

holy_saiyan1

I know the answer to your problem, but I'm not at my computer right now so i'll have to post the answer when i get home. stupid school iMacs... Who the hell uses Apple computers in the real world? lol.

7. Krelian

Krelian Thread Starter

Bill Gates.

8. holy_saiyan1

holy_saiyan1

good point. and Steve Jobs too. 3 more hours till i can go home and help you! think you can wait or will you go crazy before school is out and i go home to my non-Apple computer?

9. Krelian

Krelian Thread Starter

Yeah, I can hold out ;)

10. holy_saiyan1

holy_saiyan1

okay...
    go to Start --> Settings ---> Control Panels, then click on "Internet Options" click on the "Connections" tab. click on "Settings," then "Properties." click on the "Configure" button. click the "Options" tab, and at the bottom of the pop-up there should be a checkmark marked "Display modem status". Uncheck this. go to "ok" on all the boxes and close out of Control Panel. you're done!!!

if this didn't work or you're confused about something i said, don't hesitate to tell me :)

11. Krelian

Krelian Thread Starter

It's already unchecked though...

12. holy_saiyan1

holy_saiyan1

ooh... dang it. i don't know then. Sorry :(

13. Krelian

Krelian Thread Starter

=\ ...

14. Steve-x8086

Steve-x8086

First Name:
    Steve
    Hey, I know what you mean but they offer more that just letting you know that you're connected. The Top-Left one indicated when you are receiving data and the Bottom-Right one will let you know when you are waiting for a reply. More details if you want.

As for an easy fix - just drag the taskbar down when you don't need it.

Steve-x8086

15. Krelian

Krelian Thread Starter

I'm aware of what each one means. Pulling the taskbar up and down is just a tad bit more annoying than the flashing lights, I use the taskbar constantly, there is no point at which I am not, I multitask. Also, hidding isn't something I can do, as I need to be able to see the taskbar at all times as well.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217466

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice