Dialup connectivity problem?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hnicolle

This has been a problem that has gotten slightly worse over the past two or three months. It has happened using two different services so I'm pretty certain the problem is on my end. I hope I can explain it right.

While I'm signed on to the internet my dialup program will freeze up and say it's still connected but nothing that needs an interenet connection will work correctly. [Internet explorer, AIM, etc..]
I thought originally it had something to do with being idle but that isn't it because I can be right in the middle of something that is using the connection and it still happens.
Since the computer still "thinks" it's connected I can send people instant messages and they seem to go through on my end, but the other person never recieves them and I can't recieve anything from them.

If anyone has any ideas or insights I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks, Heather

Try uninstalling the driver and then reinstalling it. If that didn't work try moving it on the board. If that didn't work then the modem might be failing which in that case its easy to replace.

Hi and welcome to TSG:Some questions for you.Is this a dedicated line to your computer or is it a shared line?If shared,try removing other devices.Also if modem is sharing other apps,like an active fax program(winfax,etc) exit that program.I had the same problem when my modem was active to Winfax.Also when this happens,you might try to "ping" a known site(this one would be good),to see if your transmission is getting out.Also,when this started,had you added any harware/software that you can remember. Also,when this happens,you might want to check your available resources(right click My Computer,left click properties and performance)If that # is low,you might have too many processes active.Also clean out your internet temp files.Right click Internet Explorer>properties>delete files.If you have a software firewall running,try exiting it and see if that helps.Mine is Zone Alarm and from time to time the VSMON component will freeze
Hope some of this will help or at least get us closer to a resolution.

hnicolle

Thank you so much.
My guess is going to be that it has something to do with the amount of programs I have active, or something else trying to acess my modem while I'm not looking, so to speak.
I just recently got ZA when I switched from AOL so even though I'm using it, I don't *think* that's the cause..but hey, I have been wrong before. :)

Thanks again!

Happy to help.Too many active programs(low resources) and modem sharing issues are good places to start.Don't forget about your temp internet files.

Cheers

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online