1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dialup screen on each boot

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by moonifa, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moonifa

moonifa Thread Starter

Can someone please tell me how to prevent the Dial Up Connect screen from popping up on my desktop each time I cold boot or restart?
    I have gone round and round with this and I am stumped. Thanks for any help. Moonifa :rolleyes:

2. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

Hi moonifa,

Go into the Control Panel / Internet Options / Connections and check the box that says, "Never Dial a connection".

Good luck.

Spaceman

3. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Hi moonifa,could I just ask is this happening because you have gone from dial up connection to broadband?

4. moonifa

moonifa Thread Starter

Thanks guys for your interest in helping. Actually about 10 minutes after I posted this thread, I found someone else who posted the exact same problem. She solved it herself by discovering it was the latest version of ZoneAlarm that was causing it.
    I uninstalled ZoneAlarm and that was sure enough the problem. I do not plan on going to an older version as I use dial up, and probably don't need it. Thanks again! Moonifa

5. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

Don't give up ZoneAlarm yet. It is true that since your on a dial-up connection, your chances of being hacked is remote. However ZoneAlarm is very good at letting you know what programs on your machine is trying to call home when your connected to the internet.
    There are alot of nasty viruses and trojans out there that you can get that wait around on your machine untill your connected to the internet and then send out your personal information back to their maker.

Bottom line: ZoneAlarm, or a program like it, is the one program most teck people say you should have along with a good anti-virus program.

There's more than one way to be hacked.

John.

6. RandyG

RandyG

7. moonifa

moonifa Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input and advice. I will re-download Zone Alarm and reset my options to never dial.
    I appreciate everyone's input. Maybe I can help in return someday. :D Moonifa

8. moonifa

moonifa Thread Starter

Can I impose another quick question? I set it to "never dial a connection," and when I went to log on it would not bring up the dial up screen. So will I have to manually change the setting each time I need to log on? Or am I missing something here?
    Thank you for your time! Moonifa

9. RandyG

RandyG

I cheat and have a shortcut to my dialup connection on my desktop, and click that to start the dialup process, before opening Outlook or Internet Explorer.

If you go to Double-click the My Computer icon on your desktop to open it and then double0click the Dial-Up Networking folder, you will see your Dial-up connection(s). Right-click the one you use most often and select Create Shortcut. You should get a pop-up window saying that Windows cannot create a shortcut here. Do you want the shortcut to be placed on the desktop instead?

Just click Yes.

Now, whenever you want to start your dial-up to access mails or internet, double-click the shortcut first, and a dial-up box that looks different from the one you are used to will appear. Just click the Connect button to start it dialing.

10. moonifa

moonifa Thread Starter

Thanks Randy! I have the shortcut on my desktop now. I appreciate the wisdom! :)
    Now I am going to check out your link to spyware. I hope to "see" you around. Good Luck in all you do. Moonifa

11. RandyG

RandyG

Gald to have been able to help, even in a small way!

Take care!!:D;)

12. john1

john1

This is an unfortunate side effect of their latest ver.
    Ive gone back to ver 2.6
    It took a while to find what it was,
    cos i didnt suspect ZA at all.

They have said they will issue a fix,
    or another version, but nothing yet.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113853

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice