1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dialup speed on DSL

Discussion in 'Networking' started by transmothra, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. transmothra

transmothra Thread Starter

Hi, i was wondering if anyone could help me?

I've got a laptop (Vista, wireless), an Xbox (wired), and two desktops (XP, wired + wireless). We use AT&T/Yahoo/SBC DSL (yeah, confusing). On all of them it seems like we have a slow connection, but on my wifi desktop upstairs, where i am getting excellent signal, i have been experiencing dialup speeds and worse. I seem to recall a time when it wasn't like this, but i can't point my finger at any specific changes.

Our router is the classic Linksys wrt54g. Everything really seems completely 100% spiffy, except that loading any web page generally takes a full minute.

I have run network diagnostics and can paste the results in if you need.

Any ideas? TIA...

p.s., if another forum would be better, please let me know as i wasn't sure what this would best fall under.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You're in the right forum.

Have you tried changing the channel on the router to see if wireless interference is the issue? Do any of the computers connected to the DSL have good speed connections? If changing the channel doesn't help, I'd suggest temporarily moving the computer next to the router and testing with a wired connection.

3. transmothra

Thanks!

I've tried changing the channel. None give any better results. It seriously took about a minute to load this page. I'm getting excellent signal. None of the computers experience DSL-like speed, but the wireless ones are even worse.

Naturally, our ISP blames the router manufacturer, who blames our ISP. This is router #2, the first being a Belkin.

Connecting the PC next to the router directly to the modem seems to make it much faster.

I ran diagnostics via XP:

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Try this speedtest http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ or a similar one. Do it with a PC connected directly to the modem and then again with an ethernet connection to the router. If the PC also has wireless, test a 3rd time with wireless.

5. transmothra

THANK YOU! This is crazy! Here's the results from the slowest connection in the house:

Download Speed: 2050 kbps (256.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 431 kbps (53.9 KB/sec transfer rate)​

The kooky thing is that i definitely experience sub-dialup speeds here on this PC, yet it tested at right about where it needs to be. I didn't even test the modem-direct or wired routed connections, because this says a lot, i just don't know what it means. It must be something on my system that's throttling bandwidth, but the other PCs are almost as slow too, unless they're connected directly to the modem.

The other PCs can't get much better than what this machine tested at, though, because we pay for 3mbps d/l.

When i say dialup speeds, i definitely remember the 56k days, and if i try to load, e.g., 5 tabs at once, it usually takes 4-5 minutes, often timing out. I'm just taking about basic web pages like Yahoo!, Livejournal, MySpace, Wikipedia, etc.

6. JohnWill

How does the machine do with a wired connection. It would be very useful to isolate this to either a wireless issue or some other issue with the machine or network to start.

7. transmothra

I have to be perfectly honest and answer that i really don't want to unplug everything, run it all downstairs, set it back up, visit a web site, then run it all back upstairs and set it back up again. I'm sorry - i'm just being honest.

i can tell you that the PC downstairs runs a little faster wired than do either of the wifi rigs, and it (or the laptop) runs totally fine going straight to the modem.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    And the reason you can't do what I asked in post #4 with the laptop? Or is that the one that's too difficult to get within ethernet cable range of the modem?

9. JohnWill

Well, I'll be honest too, I'll let the issue "age" until the idea of narrowing down the possibilities gets more appealing. ;)

10. transmothra

c'mon, give me a break here. my girlfriend sprained her ankle and i've only slept for a little over one hour in the last two days. i will do what you ask as soon as possible.

i do appreciate the help.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/694046

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice