1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dialup Speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RetiredCA, Mar 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetiredCA

RetiredCA Thread Starter

I'm stuck on dialup because of my location in the wilds of Pennsylvania. When I first log on in the morning I usually only hit at about 14.4 kbps:mad: I have a dedicated line for the computer. After downloading mail I will log off and reconnect. Slowly over the course of the day as I click off and reconnect the speed slowly goes up. The best I've done so far is 44 kbps but that was after logging on and off 4 or 5 times. The modem has been checked and it's ok. The connections and wire in the house seem ok and so far Verizon refuses to come out and check further. I can't replace the inhouse wire since the phone company has to connect it at the box. I think it's the connection at the box outside since my other line connects at around 50kbps. Any suggestions short of shooting myself?:eek:
    Retiredca

2. Sherry22160

Sherry22160

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Tweaking MAX MTU and RWIN are a good start: http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp
    Windows default for MAX MTU is typically 1500. You want 576 for dialup.

If your ISP provides several dialup numbers, try another one. I remember when I had dialup the number 15 miles away worked better that the one 3 miles away.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/551805

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice