Diamond WiFi Repeater issues...driving me insane! Please help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bgaviator

Hello,
We have a Belkin N router upstairs in the house....I have never had good reception downstairs in the basement, almost non-existent. I ended up buying a Diamond WiFi Repeater, and at first we had no troubles....computers downstairs and my iPhone were able to finally get strong signals down in the basement. Then something happened, and I'm not sure if it's due to two of the 4 computers getting Windows 7 or not. But now the two computers with Windows 7 constantly give IP Address Conflict errors and/or won't connect to the internet. The two Windows XP computers downstairs connected via WiFi have no issues, and my iphone has no issues. I know it's the Diamond Repeater because if I fire up the Windows 7 desktop (connected to the router via cable), it won't connect....as soon as I unplug the repeater, I am able to connect again. Now if I plug the repeater back in after the Windows 7 computers are connected to the internet, then it doesn't seem to have an issue, until the next time I try to start the computer fresh with the repeater already plugged in.

I have emailed Diamond about this, and my response back was as follows, and of course they didn't tell me how to do any of this:
"If your repeater is causing that kind of error, it's because the router is trying to give the same address to the computer and the repeater. If you give either the computer or the repeater a static IP address, your issue should be alleviated."

Ok, I am not very good with networking stuff, so I have no idea how to do this. I tried resetting the Diamond Repeater, and tried finding out if there was a place to change the ip address to a static one, and I can't figure this out. Do I need to be changing the two computers with Windows 7 to static IP Addresses instead of trying to change the repeater? The only problem is that one of the Windows 7 computers is my mother-in-law's laptop, and it's her work computer set up by her company's IT department, so she doesn't want to mess with any settings.

I just find it odd that only the Windows 7 computers are having issues, and not my XPs.

Please help if able, Thank you!

etaf

Wayne
it maybe you have some fixed IPs conflicting
in order to see that , we need an ipconfig /all from each PC - so we can see how it is setup and what IP you are getting

also the repeater should be set to not provide IP address

lets start with all the ipconfig /all - make a note of which PC they are from and post in separate replies here, maybe the easiest

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ipconfig /all

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply
Note: you will see entries named Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface: we dont need to see that information - JUST the infomation above those entries

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

For Windows 8
To open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop. Use Win + X and choose Command Prompt or Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.​

For windows version, XP, Vista, W7
Hold the Windows key and press R

Now type CMD

Now press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):​

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will now be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

TerryNet

Terry
The Repeater doesn't have a static IP address? How do you login to it for initial configuration?

bgaviator

Well yes, after I disconnect the desktop computer from the router, and plug a cable from the repeater to the computer, I type in the ip address listed on the back of the repeater and that takes me to the setup page. There is an auto-setup option, and then a manual option....but I have no idea what I'm doing on the manual setup, or do I know anything about changing the static IP.

bgaviator

Ok, here's what I've been able to gather for you all so far. What I did is I went upstairs to the Windows 7 desktop that won't connect when it boots up with the repeater plugged in. This computer is connected to the router via cable. When the computer booted into Windows, I went into the View Basic Network Info....it kept toggling back and forth between our computer name followed by a red X and the internet symbol....and then to our computer name -- red x --- park bench icon that said "unidentified network" ---internet symbol. Not sure if this is important for you to know or not.

I then did the instructions for the ipconfig and for it to transfer to notepad...now here's where it gets strange....the first few times I did it, it would not show any IP type information. All that would transfer is this:

Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MARTIN-PC Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20) Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : E0-CB-4E-24-35-85 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled Tunnel adapter isatap.{B138F713-C7E0-42DA-8299-B99FD793E177}: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2 Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

I tried this same command a few times, and finally it showed me IP info.....not sure why it wouldn't show it right away. I then got a pop up message talking about Windows detected an IP Conflict. Now I can't paste the IP info from a notepad, because the command wouldn't transfer the IP stuff over....it just kept transferring the same info that I pasted above.....I made a screenshot into a Word document if there is a way you guys can see it.

The only other thing I can show you is the IP stuff after I unplugged the repeater:
Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MARTIN-PC Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Belkin Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20) Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : E0-CB-4E-24-35-85 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.6(Preferred) Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, June 05, 2013 3:14:43 PM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, July 12, 2149 9:43:53 PM Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1 NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled Tunnel adapter isatap.Belkin: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2 Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:79fb:280a:3d72:3f57:fdf9(Preferred) Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::280a:3d72:3f57:fdf9%13(Preferred) Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : :: NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

bgaviator

I think I figured out how to show you the screenshot. This is when the router was still plugged in, and I finally got it to show Ip address info, but it wouldn't transfer it to a notepad document:

bgaviator

...ok...I guess using the paste link function for the picture didn't work

bgaviator

this is the only way I can seem to share this info. I tried the paste link for the photo option and it's just giving me a broken image symbol.

bgaviator

Here is the info for one of my desktops connected via WiFi to the network:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : phil

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Belkin

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 9:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-Win32 Adapter V9

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-FF-BE-E9-42

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 9:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys WUSB600N Dual-Band Wireless-N USB Network Adapter #3

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-10-EB-58-83

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.11

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, June 01, 2013 3:22:42 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 18, 2038 11:14:07 PM

TerryNet

Terry
OK, that certainly shouldn't conflict with anything else on your network. :)

bgaviator

I am just curious as to #1. why is this only happening on the Windows 7 computers and not the XP computers? #2. If I unplug the repeater after I launch the Windows 7 desktop, that computer then can connect to the internet....if I plug the repeater back in, there are no more issues.....until the next time I restart that Windows 7 desktop of course.

TerryNet

Terry
Maybe the problem has something directly to do with the repeater, but I don't see how. When you turn the repeater on that means you have one more additional devices connected to your LAN, right? If this is correct then my guess is that the problem is related to one of those devices.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online