Diamond WiFi Repeater issues...driving me insane! Please help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bgaviator

Well, I ended up logging into the routers setup page, and saw a list of all the IP addresses assigned. Nothing was showing duplicates.....but I saw they were all lower numbers, like below 15.....so I set a static IP for the desktop computer and put it at a high number......no more problems on that computer! Now I just have to see if my mother-in-law's laptop is still having issues when she comes home later.

bgaviator

My mother-in-law came home with her Windows 7 laptop, and still couldn't connect.....I set her computer to an assigned IP address, and it connected again......so this almost sounds like some quirky thing with Windows 7......so now my question is, does a computer use different network settings depending on what network it's connected to? For instance, can I have her computer use an assigned IP address when the computer is on the home network, but then have it still get a randomly assigned IP when she connects to her WiFi network at her workplace?

etaf

Wayne
No,
A lot of routers use a standard set of IPs
192.168,x,x
or

also if someone has already been assigned an IP of say 192.168.1.200 and that's the fixed IP you have set, which coincidently is the same , then there will be an conflict and stop the other person working - which could be business critical
so it will be a little bit hit and miss

Sounds like the router may not be applying IP address correctly

and also look at the lease period

bgaviator

it says 192.168.2.2 thru 192.168.2.100
The lease option says lease time "forever"

etaf

Wayne
I would change to 1 day or whatever time near that you have

etaf

Wayne
and look at the DHCP table - anything loaded now - forever?

TerryNet

Terry
can I have her computer use an assigned IP address when the computer is on the home network, but then have it still get a randomly assigned IP when she connects to her WiFi network at her workplace?
Yes, if and only if there is no Dhcp server on the home network. In that case you put the home network's static IP configuration on the Alternate tab. But this is not the case for you; you use the router's Dhcp server.

bgaviator

I called Diamond tech support, and after about 20 mins on the phone they told me the problem had to be with the router, and not their device since the device was acting properly in that when I test it plugged in downstairs, it does amplify the WiFi signal like it should.......yet this damn little device is keeping any of our Windows 7 computers from being able to log in. So either it's still a) the repeater b)the Belkin router or c)something to do with Windows 7. I mean, why would this happen on only the Windows 7 computers and not the computers running XP? After quite a bit of Googling, I did find some other people who have had my same similar issue. One person even had just what I'm describing, only an issue on the Windows 7 computers, but not his XP computers.

etaf

Wayne
is this the device
http://www.diamondmm.com/wr300n-diamond-wireless-repeater-range-extender.html
says it should work with windows 7 32/64bit

what firmware version is running in the repeater - you should be able to log into the repeater and see the firmware version

user manual
http://www.dmmdownload.com/downloads/CURRENT/NETWORKING/WR300N_Manual.pdf

you talk about PCs being connected to the Unit
as a repeater which extends the wifi - does that work with none W7 PCs

Page 10
what is the operation mode - setting used there

you select your wireless signal

maybe worth trying to setup manually
The manuals do not give the information
But you would set to repeater
connect to your wireless router wireless - using connect on the repeater - make sure the main wireless router is on a fixed wireless channel - otherwise if the main router changes wireless channel the wireless repeater will not work
name the SSID as a different name - so you can tell which wireless you are connecting to
set the security to the same as the main router
If you have a choice of wide/narrow (40/20mhz) choose 20mhz

confirm the model and we can look at the user manual and see if we can setup

If it works only when a PC is connected to the repeater by a cable - then it mybe set to a mode where its acting like a wireless adapter only

lets see an xirrus screen shot - may help choose a channel
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and install the program.
You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx ( the site now appears to require a business email, so try the direct link below)
Direct link to the program is here http://info.xirrus.com/Wi-FiInspectorConfirmation.html

{If the above link does not work heres alternative links
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-Monitor-Download-99109.html
http://download.cnet.com/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-Inspector/3000-18508_4-75758254.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
if you get an error - You need will need to have NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.
On windows 8 - (i do not have windows 8) but, it would appear that, When you first try to run, you may get a message that .net framework is needed, and included in that message is a link to download/install.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-inspectorguide-1-2-1-RevB-6.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running.
if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)

Note:
For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better. "A desirable signal level for a robust Wi-Fi connection will be green".
note: the signal level is a negative number, so for example -88 is worst and -40 is better

To post a screen shot of the active window.
Windows XP
Hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.

Vista or Windows 7
you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-the-windows-snipping-tool/

Windows 8
you can use the snipping tool > Open Snipping Tool (From the Windows 8 Start Screen, type "snip" and press enter.
>Press the Esc. key.
>go back to your Windows 8 start screen - Swipe from left or press Window Button
>Press Ctrl+PrntScr button to use Snipping Tool
see here
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/opinion/windows/3415854/how-take-screenshot-in-windows-8/
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/3405830/how-take-screenshot-in-windows-8/

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

bgaviator

I may have gotten it to work!!!!!!
ETAF, reading your above post, the only think I knew I had set differently than your suggestion was the 20/40 MHz option.....I had mine set to 20/40 instead of just 20. I set my router to 20 MHz, and then I did the manual set up for the Diamond repeater.....low and behold the Windows 7 desktop PC is working with the repeater!!!! I haven't been able to test it on the Windows 7 laptops yet, but I will post my finding when I'm able! Hopefully this did the trick! If so, I can't believe one little setting like that would have been causing me all the grief!

etaf

Wayne
excellent - let us know how you get on - i have found the 20/40 setting has caused issue
did you also check the channel on the main router is not set to auto ?

bgaviator

well, shocker...our problem is back. My mother-in-law tried to log on with her Windows 7 laptop tonight and couldn't get on.....and I fired the Windows 7 desktop that I had numerous successful connects with earlier in the day, and it wouldn't connect either.

The network icon kept toggling between a red x and a yellow !. It would say "no internet connection" and then it would say "Unidentified network". My mother-in-law ran the network troubleshooter on her computer, and it fixed the issue and she was able to log on. I did the same thing on the desktop, and the troubleshooter came back with "Problems Found: Local Area Connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration: fixed"

So then I shut down the computer, and tried it again.....couldn't connect once again. This time I tried the ipconfig /release and /renew in the command prompt. I got this message back. "An error occured while renewing interface local area connection: The DHCP clinet has obtained an IP address that is already in use on the network. The local interface will be disabled until the DHCP client can obtain a new address."

A few second later I look down at my internet connection icon, and it says I'm connected......strange.

So I restart the computer once again.....can't connect once again....this time I try the troubleshooter again. This time I get a popup message about duplicate IP addresses. I run the troubleshooter I get the same "local area connection doesn't have a valid ip configuration: not fixed."

This time it clearly says "not fixed" but then I look down and low and behold I have internet connection again.

I cannot wrap my head around this. The whole notion of a duplicate IP I can't even comprehend because isn't the routers job to prevent this from happening? I even went into the router's setup page, and looked at the DHCP client list, and all the devices listed I saw no duplicate IPs being displayed.

And I have to re-iterate, this is clearly a Windows 7 issue, because the XPs have no trouble.

bgaviator

What's crazy is that I had it working! After I changed the mhz setting to 20, instead of the 20/40, and re-setup the repeater, I got numerous successful connects automatically when I would restart the Windows 7 desktop. I even had my brother-in-law's Windows 7 laptop successfully connect as well. So how does it go from everything working earlier in the day, to having problems again later? Some new device come on to the network that wasn't present before? The only two variables that weren't present before were my mother-in-law's laptop, and my brother-in-law's PS3.....both were up and running tonight when we tried this again. But as an experiment I had my mother-in-law shut off her laptop, and I still had connection problems on the Windows 7 desktop. I have not seen if the PS3 is any factor, but it shouldn't have been, as he is currently not doing any online gaming.

etaf

Wayne
check every device is set to automatically obtain an IP address.
Interesting it only hasan issue with W7 and not XP
I assume if the XP are not connected and all other devices are - then the XP machines will now connect with no issue
anything common like its only wireless connections that are the issue ?
check the dhcp range setting on the router

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online