Diamond WiFi Repeater issues...driving me insane! Please help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bgaviator

every device is set to obtain IP I believe. I will have to check one of the laptops. The desktop Windows 7 computer having issues, is ran via ethernet to the router, the other Windows 7 are wireless laptops. The XP desktop computers are via WiFi.

bgaviator

If there were a way to be able to setup my mother-in-law's Windows 7 laptop with different network profiles, so if her computer tries to connect to the WiFi at home it would use a static IP, and when she's at work on the work WiFi it would go back to using a randomly assigned IP, that would be a good solution to. It seems when I specified IP addresses, the issue went away, but I need to be able to have it seamlessly transition on her laptop between her work WiFi and the home WiFi profiles.

etaf

Wayne
as terrynet explained in post #23
not as you have configured at the moment
http://www.skidzopedia.com/2012/07/...cally-switch-between-static-and-dhcp-network/

it maybe possible to setup a batchfile on the PC - so you click on it , maybe on the desktop to change
OR

you setup the home network to only use static IP address and not have dhcp enabled - which will not be convenient for every one to use with phones etc

from here http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/320-batch-file-script-to-change-ip-addresses
Script Beginning:
@echo off
echo "Setting Static IP Information"
netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" static 192.168.0.111 255.255.0.0 192.168.0.1 1
netsh int ip show config
goto end
:end
end of script
never tried so I may have a go and see what can be achived

more info here
http://superuser.com/questions/361038/how-to-change-ip-address-using-script-on-windows
http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Change-IP-configuration-4b136f36

and here appears to have a choice
http://pastebin.com/BEiuMBnc

bgaviator

what about using this Alternate Configuration tab I have been reading about? Sounds like something like this could be used exactly for our scenario, where she has two different WiFi networks she has to connect to.....almost sounds like I can set the alternate tab to a specified IP address, and it will auto switch over if it can't detect an automatic assignment. Does this sound correct? This is from Microsoft's website:

"The Alternate Configuration settings specify a second set of IP settings that are used when a DHCP server is not available. This is very useful for portable computer users who often switch between two different network environments such as DHCP and static IP network environments."

etaf

Wayne
see my previous post for some batch files
re alternative
you setup the home network to only use static IP address and not have dhcp enabled - which will not be convenient for every one to use with phones etc

TerryNet

Terry
I know of two ways that you can get duplicate IP addresses when all devices are using dynamic addressing.

If a device is offline when the router is reset (or power cycled) and then comes back online before its IP lease has expired the router may have already reassigned the IP to another device (since its Dhcp client list is, of course, emptied with the reset). If this is what is happening with your network my suggestion is to shorten the lease time (say, to two hours).

The other way is because of a defective router. If you suspect this make sure you have the latest firmware; then reset to factory default settings and reconfigure it.

bgaviator

Ok, so this is incredibly weird. I came home today and fired up the Windows 7 desktop. The repeater was already plugged in downstairs. Of course I get the red x alternative with the yellow ! again for the network connection. I right clicked and opened the Network and Sharing center. I then clicked on "See full map" and I got a message it couldn't show me a map because I haven't established whether this was a home or work connection or something along those lines. So I then went to the Choose Homegroup and Sharing options and I set it to a Home network. It then gave me some kind of password to use to set up other Windows 7 computers on a home network. I looked down in the right corner, and my computer was connected. So out of curiosity I rebooted the computer....computer connected right away to the network again. So then I shut down the computer completely, waited a few seconds and started it back up. This time I got the red x again. Once again I right clicked and opened the Network and Sharing center. I then went to "Change Adapter settings" I opened up the Realtek controller and and clicked on Properties....I then highlighted the TCP/IPv4. I made NO changes....I don't even know what I was looking for. I was just snooping around. I look down in the right corner, and I'm connected to the network again. I did absolutely nothing but just opening different settings pages within the network and sharing center, and all of a sudden my network comes back? That seems very weird to me. Any possible explanations?

bgaviator

I get about 2 or 3 successful restarts with the computer where it will connect to the network right away......this last time I got that I wasn't connected again. All I did was opened up my Realtek Local Area Connection, clicked Properties, then Configure....went to look at the driver page, clicked OK, and then my computer connected to the network. I made no changes at all. I was just snooping around.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online