1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

diamondmax 10 maxtor 200GB hdd 6B200P0 not reading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iamstuck, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iamstuck

iamstuck Thread Starter

i have a maxtor 200gb drive that wont read as primary slave. i attached the cables rite turn on my comp, went to the bios to standard CMOS setup. Pressed F3 to detect all Hard drives. it reads my 40 gig primary master drive and it reads my 200 gb primary slave drive so i continue into my windows xp, and when i look at "My Computer" to see if my hd is there, it still only shows my C: drive still the 40 gb one. And my 200 gb cannot be detected. i go to add hardware, and scan my 200 gb hd, it says that "this device is working properly" but i cannot get access to it.

sorry for the long post but can u guys help me out with this. i dont have ATA cables cuz my friend says that it wasnt necessary. so i played around with the cables. and i got my bios to detect it, but it wont show as a drive in "My Computer"

plz help i am really stuck.
    --thnx to any replies.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need to partition and format it.

Right click on MY Computer and choose Manage. The go to Disk Management and select the new drive. You should be able to partition and format it here and then it'll be assigned a drive letter and appear in My Computer.

3. iamstuck

iamstuck Thread Starter

hi thnx for the reply, i did wut u asked for but this time it says 189.92gb unlocated. i have sp2 installed. How come it wont go 200 gb? were did my 10 gigs go?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The difference between Disk Manufacturer gigabytes of 1,000,000,000 and real gigabytes of 1,073,741,824. Do the math, you're seeing the full capacity of the drive.

You're seeing the drive as unallocated because you have yet to partition and format it.

5. iamstuck

iamstuck Thread Starter

ok i partition it to with maxblaster3 going:
    drive g: (primary partition)41.3gb
    h:41.3gb
    i: 41.3gb
    j: 41.3gb
    k: 39.5gb
    all done in maxblast3 and formated.
    but when i reboot to windows xp, and look at "my computer"
    it says:
    g:38.4
    h:38.4
    i: 38.5
    j: 38.5
    k:35.9

it still adds up to 189.9bg

so wuttsup? i dont know wuts going on?
    is there a way to find out the full capacity, atleast 199gb of space.

6. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

189.7Gb = 189.7*1024(Bytes in a KB)*1024(KB in A Mb)*1024(MB in A GB)= 203688824012 Bytes = 200Gb by marketing standards.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326854

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice