1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Did a clean install and now cannot connect to the internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cyndycyn, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cyndycyn

cyndycyn Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 that was running very slow and freezing up. Dell walked me through a clean install and now I cannot connect to the internet for more than 1-5 minutes if even at all. I have a Linksys wireless adapter. I also have two other computers in the house that are running just fine. One is to a hard line and the other is also on a Linksys wireless adapter. I have spent about 20 hours on the phone with Linksys and they even replaced my adapter, which I do not think was the problem. It seems the computer cannot obtain an IP address. Linksys tried to help me force one, but that did not work either. This computer was connecting just fine to the internet before I did the clean install. My main computer is connected to a dsl line with comcast. PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP?

2. j_houch

j_houch

Are there updated drivers available for your adapter on the Linksys website? If you've been on the phone with them, surely they would have had you try that, but I guess you never know. I didn't see you mention that you had updated them, so it's just a thought.

3. cyndycyn

cyndycyn Thread Starter

Yes we have tried to update the driver but that didn't help either.

4. j_houch

j_houch

Can you try the working USB adapter on this computer, or the nonworking adapter on the working computer? Since it was working before the uninstall, it's highly unlikely that the issue is with the adapter, but it's worth a check anyway.

5. cyndycyn

cyndycyn Thread Starter

Thanks for the adivce but I have done that already. I have also connected it directly the wired router and it works just fine.

6. j_houch

j_houch

So, when wired via Ethernet, it works fine? If they've already replaced the adapter, then that's definitely curious. What do you mean by they helped you 'force an IP address'? Do you mean you assigned static IP information and tried to connect that way?

7. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

the slot the nic/ethernet adapter is in may be bad, try another slot.

8. cyndycyn

cyndycyn Thread Starter

It's nice to get so many responses on this. I have tried another slot to plug it in and that does not work either. When I said they forced an ip address I"m not sure what I mean. Linksys had me go to different windows and put in some numbers. When I couldn't connect they said that they tried to force the ip address and it wouldn't take. Could my computer be missing something since I did a clean install? This is puzzling because I had no connection issues before I did that. The internet connection is great when I connect it directly by wire to the main router. I did notice there are other networks listed on my monitor, but only mine is selected. Could the other networks (the neighbors) be affecting my connecting problems?

9. j_houch

j_houch

It depends, where are you in relation to the router and other computer (with working USB adapter) when you're trying to connect?

10. Old Rich

Old Rich

. . what does that mean? What brand/model is the router?

What security is on the wireless router? . . WEP? . . WPA? . .

11. cyndycyn

cyndycyn Thread Starter

The router is a Linksys.....WEP. The location of the computer from the router should not be an issue because it was working just fine before I reformatted the hard drive. Can't anyone help me?

12. cyndycyn

cyndycyn Thread Starter

When I tried a different usb port to plug in the adapter, I hooked up to the internet immediately, but 2 minutes later lost it. So, I moved it to a couple others and finally got another connection, but not for long. I really need to solve this.

13. j_houch

j_houch

How long was it between the last time you connected (before the format) and the time when you first tried it after the format?

Have you tried removing the WEP security, just to see if it stays connected?

14. cyndycyn

cyndycyn Thread Starter

How would I remove the WEP security? I was only about an hour between reformatting and trying to reconnect to the internet

15. j_houch

j_houch

Okay, it's highly unlikely that someone would have installed a router or something that's causing interference in that small of a window.

You have to log into the router and go into the wireless setup and set it to open (unencrypted). That would be a way to check if for some reason or another, the security is causing an issue. While you're there, you might change the wireless channel just to make sure interference isn't an issue. Try maybe channel 11.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704641

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice