did a virus just kill my computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

amstertim

I have been having problems with my computer perpetually starting itself up, and if it gets that far, hanging on the window xp page. I managed to run a recovery program yesterday which loaded the software , and I´m still having the same problems, but now I´m not even able to run that program again.

Is there anything I can do if I can´t even get to the point of logging on in safe mode?

I have an ibm netvista that came preloaded with windows xp. I dont have any disk.

Is this computer history?

etaf

Wayne
you may have a partion on the hardrive where you may be able to run a repair
did you get any disks at all - recovery CD

sometimes to access that partition you need to hit F10 as it boots - but it varies with different manufactures and age

amstertim

unfortunately, i am unable to get even that far. i have to unplug the computer or it continues with the starting and restarting, until such time as it hangs on the windows xp page

etaf

Wayne
you may have to open up the box and try removing some unnecessary stuff

what hardware is on the PC

does the PC beep at all

amstertim

the computer doesn´t beep. the pc does make an odd rat-a-tat, machine gun 4 beat burst before it returns to the beginning screen where you have the choice of starting windows in safe mode or regular windows. you might, if lucky, get as far as the windows welcome screen.

i despair

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts