1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

did a virus just kill my computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by amstertim, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amstertim

amstertim Thread Starter

I have been having problems with my computer perpetually starting itself up, and if it gets that far, hanging on the window xp page. I managed to run a recovery program yesterday which loaded the software , and I´m still having the same problems, but now I´m not even able to run that program again.

Is there anything I can do if I can´t even get to the point of logging on in safe mode?

I have an ibm netvista that came preloaded with windows xp. I dont have any disk.

Is this computer history?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you may have a partion on the hardrive where you may be able to run a repair
    did you get any disks at all - recovery CD

sometimes to access that partition you need to hit F10 as it boots - but it varies with different manufactures and age

3. amstertim

amstertim Thread Starter

unfortunately, i am unable to get even that far. i have to unplug the computer or it continues with the starting and restarting, until such time as it hangs on the windows xp page

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you may have to open up the box and try removing some unnecessary stuff

what hardware is on the PC

does the PC beep at all

5. amstertim

amstertim Thread Starter

the computer doesn´t beep. the pc does make an odd rat-a-tat, machine gun 4 beat burst before it returns to the beginning screen where you have the choice of starting windows in safe mode or regular windows. you might, if lucky, get as far as the windows welcome screen.

i despair

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324895

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice