1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Did bad cable patching cause a problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kenneth7379, Jan 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenneth7379

kenneth7379 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ken
    This is going to sound like small potatoes compared to a lot of stuff in this forum, but I have a question regarding mouse and keyboard units.

I recently went through a computer change that required me to swap the cabling several times. Due to where it's located, I had to do much of this by braille, and may have caused a problem. I suspect I may have inverted the green and purple mouse and keyboard connections. Both of the keyboards I was using previously are now dead....no lights, no action.

The mouse, which still works has developed an over-sensitivity in the click functions. I tried using Control Panel settings to slow down the response time on the mouse, and it seemed to help initially, but is back to double-clicking almost every time I touch it.

Is the theory of bad cable patching as a cause a valid thing, or did three devices all coincidentally all go bad or dead at the same time? I'm about to order a replacement keyboard (I'm using a borrowed keyboard at the moment) and wondered if the mouse is also damaged and needs replacement too. If it makes any difference, the current mouse is a Logitech LX3 optical unit. Thanks for your advice.

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    I take it these are PS/2 devices you're referring to? It should not hurt them to be plugged into each other's jacks. Since you were doing this "blind", perhaps you should check the ends of the cables and be sure you haven't bent any of the small contacts (pins). It is fairly easy to do! (Don't ask me how I know this ...) ;-)
    If you've got enough USB ports, you may want to consider using that type of keyboard/mouse.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221648

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice