Did Dell Disable ATI Overdrive on My Current 9800XT?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

8dalejr.fan

I just discovered that the Catalyst Control Center (which I have) has the ability of an "Overdrive" feature under the Performance tab, where I can view the temperature of the card, as long as it is an XT card.

I have a Radeon 9800XT (which is broken and I'm having it replaced next week), but there is no Performance or Overdrive tab in the Catalyst Control Center.

Why is that? It's an XT-based card, and ATI's site said that the 9800XT's have this feature.

Did Dell disable it, or is my card not all that it seems to be?

http://www.ati.com/products/catalyst/overdrive.html

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Q3: What products support ATI Overdrive™?

A3: Currently ATI Overdrive™ is supported on the ATI Radeon® 9800 XT and ATI Radeon® 9600 XT retail products. On the Graphics By ATI products supplied by ATI's Add In Board Partners the availability of Overdrive is at the discretion of the partner. Please refer to the website of your graphic card manufacturer for details.

8dalejr.fan

Yeah, I saw that, that's why I'm asking.

I know my card is supported, but I guess Dell disabled it or something to prevent overclocking (lol).

I just wanted to use it to see how hot my card was running without downloading any other hardware-monitoring software.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Unfortunately Dell modifies everything they sell, and never for the better.

Personally I haven't found the overdrive feature that useful. My system tends to run a little on the hot side. No problems with this, but I find that the overdrive only kicks in when I don't really need it. Like I'm sure that it's working now as I sit here typing. But play a game for a couple of minutes and the card temp will cause it to shut off. This weekend will be an attempt to cool down the card and system with some aftermarket stuff.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online