1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Did I Block Microsoft by mistake?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Darlene C, Sep 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Darlene C

Darlene C Thread Starter

Hi,
    When the Blaster worm was going around my firewall was going off every 10 min. The message was "A Remote System is attempting to access Microsoft Generic Host Process for Win32 Services on your computer, C\Windows\System32\Svchost.exe UDP Inbound all local adapters 1026. When I checked the IP address it said it was from Microsoft but it was unsigned. It also stated Permit (recommended). I let it have access once or twice but when it kept it up every 10 min. and I heard about the worm, I started to check the locations and they were from a few different states and also China. I wrote in Teck Support Guy and another place and they said it was probably the svchost.exe virus so I blocked it on my firewall. Now I am having a problem with my HP Multimedia Keyboard working and I am wondering if I really did block Microsoft. I just unblocked the firewall for Microsoft system 32 svchost, and made it custom, do you think I did the correct thing or could it really be the virus. Why would the firewall say permit (recommended)? I do have the patch 823980. If it comes back should I let it in. It might be a driver update.

2. Corrosive

Corrosive

You're barking up the wrong tree, my dear. Blocking a site/IP address should have nothing to do with your keyboard, unless the drivers are stored remotely on one of their servers or something stupid like that. IF you have the patch to stop the blaster worm, you should be fine.

3. BillC

BillC

It does sound like something evil might be going on, but I no not what at this point. If I were you, I'd do a virus scan making sure your definitions are up to date first. If you do not have an antivirus program, you can get an online check at TrendMicro's HouseCall

The only possibility of which I'm aware that could cause a problem on your computer from a remote site/IP, is a trojan.

4. Darlene C

Darlene C Thread Starter

Thank you for answering my post Corrosiive and BillC, My multimedia keyboard came back to life after my second reboot, as you can see I know nothing about drivers. I have Norton's Anti Virus and firewall and do check for updates daily. I also have Spybot and spywareblaster and do the same each day. What is throwing me is that Norton's firewall is telling me it is from Microsoft and permit (recommended), could it really be from Microsoft and be something important? Shortly after I made it custom I got 2 in 10 min. from China saying it was Microsoft, no virus found, and no digital signature, I blocked it again, is Microsoft doing business out of China? Should I keep it blocked and just forget it? Or will I eventually need to let it in? Does Microsoft send things that way, I know since I got a Microsoft mouse it calls home, or something tries to connect to point 32, from Microsoft also and I let it in about four times. It did it again today (point 32 microsoft), but I blocked it this time. I really don't know what I am doing as you can see.

5. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

When in doubt, BLOCK IT!!! You can always research it and get whatever it is later. I can think of nothing that is so important that I have to have it 'right now' and compromise security.

6. BillC

BillC

Hey Darlene,

No Microsoft does not send stuff from China. And, they don't try to do things the way you have discribed to the best of my knowledge. And they don't send updates and the like via e-mail. You are doing the right thing in my view. I'd block any traffic going and coming in my machine unless I know what it is all about.

Worry not. If you block something you really need, you can get it later; it is not lost forever. Just wait until you can't do something you want and then let in or out what is necessary. You are a very wise person to be careful as you are. Anyway, that's my view.

7. Darlene C

Darlene C Thread Starter

Thanks NightHawk and BillC, I feel better now that experts like both of you have reassured me that I am doing the correct thing by blocking it.
    Darlene

8. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

No problem (y)

BTW, if I find an 'expert' I'll let you know. :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163261

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice