1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Did I break it or am I okay? D:

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ohgodhelp, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ohgodhelp

ohgodhelp Thread Starter

Well I've gotten a lot of mixed answers on this question some saying it will be perfectly fine others saying I'm toast.

I was tuning up and adjusting some wires in my computer the other day when this happened:

I connected all my case fans to a cord coming from my psu that had 4 molex connectors, on the other side was a 4-pin sys fan connectors (or so I thought).

My fans had been running fine without them being attached to the motherboard but curious me decided I would connect it anyways only the it was a 4-pin and my motherboard was a 3-pin.

I did some research and a majority of the people said I should be fine. So I went for it.

I plugged the in the 4-pin to the 3-pin and flipped on the power. I heard a faint crackle and immediately cut the power. Very quickly, I'd be surprised if the power was on for much more than half a second.

I smelt for a brief moment the smell of overheated computer coming from the 4-pin/3-pin contraption. No smoke. And no signs of burning, blackness, anything.

I panicked like I never thought possible. I've yet to explore the back of the motherboard to see if there is any damage there but something tells me there wouldn't be. But obviously I can't be sure unless I look.

I few minutes later I plugged it in and turned on the computer, all the lights came on, no beeps, and I got a display just like I've always got.

I went into the BIOS and took a look at everything and it at looked good.

Despite this I'm still very worried that there are underlying problems, maybe not with the CPU, GPU, RAM, but maybe with the PSU, or especially the Motherboard.

People have said that if my motherboard or PSU was damaged then nothing would turn on and that I'm okay since everything turns on.

Others have said it works but I'm on borrowed time and the life of my computer has been cut drastically.

And others have said that I'm totally skrewed and I need to go and buy new stuff.

What do you think? Please help, this whole situation has got me so worried and caused me more stress than you can imagine :(

:(:(:(

My OS loads fine. (Linux)

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Sounds like you caused a short and tripped the safety circuits
    in your power supply.
    Probably ok.
    If you have any problems later,you mighty try swapping the power supply.

3. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

You're probably OK.

I'm not clear on exactly what you did; 4 pin fan connectors are molex, and all the small connectors that go on fans that I am familiar with are 3 pin. I suspect you connected a fan connector to a header rather than a male connector somehow. Since the system powered up, it evidently survived.

Don't worry about it, but don't do it again. If you did do any damage, you'll find out eventually. Probably, though, you are OK.

4. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Haha welcome to my world lol. I have had various sparks in my computer, One caused by the same thing that you did, 1 caused by me being silly and too laze to turn off the computer while I plugged in my disk drive, and 2 from my CCFL kits when plugging them in while the computer was on lol. None of which have caused any problems for me and to be honest this computer is probably the most reliable computer I know.

Jack-O-Bytes

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024932

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice