1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

did I crash my hard drive or fry my motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by valley, Jun 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. valley

valley Thread Starter

My Dell Dimension 4100 turns on but the green light does not light up...I can hear the fans running, I can open and close the dvd and cd parts...I can plug in my mp4 players and charge it..but the monitor does not show anything but a black screen. Nothing comes up.

Is my motherboard fried or did I crash my hard drive? I dont know what to try...my sister gave me the tower from her old compaq presario s4020wm but it wont work with my dell monitor. I also tried and old mv740 compaq monitor but that didnt work either. I thought I could use the old one until i got mine fixed (or bought a new one)

if I cant get mine fixed then can someone offer some advice on how to get the monitor to work with the compaq tower?

I am on my nephew's laptop and he is staying until tomorrow so after that, i wont be back for help so if I disappear...its not because I dont care, lol!

thanks so much for any advice...

2. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

Wow - it's hard to say what happened... If it were my computer I would put the HD into another computer to see if it worked. If so I'd suspect the MB to be the culprit, if not then the HD. I'd then put another HD into the computer to see if I could load a new OS. My Dell monitors work on any computer so maybe it's the MB after all. You could try the monitor on another computer too.

Good luck.

3. valley

valley Thread Starter

Can you put a Dell hard drive into a compaq tower? I didnt think you could do that.

I did try to use my dell monitor with an old compaq presario tower but the compaq doesnt recognize the dell monitor.

I did have a winlogon error message yesterday and closed it out, thinking I was going to have a look at it today. Hah...should've tried to fix it right away. I've been having random freeze-ups lately and have had to do a lot of rebooting.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Monitors have standard connectors. You can certainly use a Dell monitor with a Compaq computer.

5. valley

valley Thread Starter

it doesnt show up when i plug it in to the back...the light (on the monitor) comes on yellow and then goes to orange. When I unplug it from the computer, words come up on the dell to show that its unplugged and needs input...but the minute I plug it in again, it goes black and the orange light comes back on. very frustrating.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Sounds like what died is probably the monitor as if there are no bent pins in the cable, it should work on the Compaq tower.

7. bmacaveli

bmacaveli

is you video integrated or a card? could be a video card or the video on the mother board

8. valley

valley Thread Starter

well, my sister just informed me that the reason the compaq tower was not being used was because the display stopped working. She gave it to me with the idea that if I could fix it, I could keep it and use it until I got a new one. I totally misunderstood her and thought it was just an outdated machine.

So now I am thinking that it may be the video card. In the morning, I am going to take out the vid card from the dell and see if I can put it in the compaq to get it working. The compaq appears to boot up ok according to all of the lights (looks like a normal startup anyways)...but my Dell is missing the main green light so if the compaq has a bad vid card and the dell has a fried hard drive, i should be able to swap the cards and get the compaq working.....in theory anyways, hahaha!

oh well...if it doesnt work, I will just have to make due with an hour at the library each week until I get a new one!

thanks for the ideas, fellas :)

9. valley

valley Thread Starter

just to update...my neighbor gave me a spare Dell Optiplex GX150 tower that he had laying around and I am back online now. I had to update windows because it hadnt been updated in over 2 years. I got AVG installed and so far, there is a irc backdoor trojan so I am working on that. I am also all very low on RAM...I may do a reformat to start fresh and get rid of the trojan. I really dont like having to clean this thing out...I delete 3 other user accounts but isnt all of that stuff still stored somewhere?

anyways....I am back online, yay!!!! :)

Thanks so much for all of the help. I am going to mark this thread solved and start a new one when I decide to reformat.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/833188

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice