1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Did I kill my computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cirzino, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cirzino

Cirzino Thread Starter

With a bios update?

Now this is not the first time I do it and I never had a problem, but yesterday I flashed the bios on my Epox 9NPA+Ultra with a recent release (9npa6811). Upon reboot I got the BSOD (well actually the computer rebooted while loading windows, but I imagine that was a BSOD). So I tried again. Reboot. Tried again, this time in safe mode, and the computer hang after loading only a few drivers. Specifically the last one on the list was Mup.sys. Now it's gotten worse. The windows logo doesn't even show up briefly before reboot and I cannot boot in safe or prompt mode, nor I can choose "previous settings that worked". I can access the BIOS though and it looks fine.

Any suggestions? Should I try to reinstall WinXP or should I just buy a new motherboard/CPU/RAM?

Thanks,

Cirzino

2. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

I ASSUME you downloaded and flashed with the 12/06/2005 BIOS. I didn't see any instructions as to the EPOX flash procedure. The EPOX website for all practical purposes is worthless.

If you know the BIOS flash procedure, then I would go on another machine and download the Bios of 9/23/2005 and re-flash with that BIOS.

If you don't know the procedure, you can go here;

https://www.epoxstore.com/Product_Detail.asp?Product_ID=1015

and order a new BIOS for your board.

4. Cirzino

Cirzino Thread Starter

Hello there,

thank you for the quick feedback.

win2kpro: actually the Epox global website is slightly better (http://www.epox.com.tw/eng/support.php?ps=335&type=1). They have more recent BIOS there. The one I flashed was from 8/11/2006 and I used their win XP utility (MagicFlash 2.2), which downloads the latest BIOS and flashes it from windows. I will try to flash the older BIOS back in, problem is I don't have a floppy drive (I know I know I am bad, but I just moved and I thought it was a good idea to thrash "useless" components like the 3.5 FDD). So I'll try and boot with a USB key. On top of everything my other "PC" is a Mac. Wish me luck.

Cirzino

5. Cirzino

Cirzino Thread Starter

Just a quick update. First I zapped the CMOS (reading some weird forums on the Mup.sys hang up), then I managed to boot from my USB key and flashed the BIOS back to 9npa5c06 (12/06/2005). Windows XP SP2 is back up and running. Kudos to the Epox people posting BIOSes that break otherwise fine windows installations. And kudos to me for updating a BIOS that needed no update. I guess I'll take the saying "if it ain't broke don't try to fix it" more seriously from now on.

Thanks for the feedback,

Cirzino

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596448

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice